Four

Four.

With Rich behind me I remain quiet as we descend each step. I didn't need to say anything else because my decision had been made. With a small grimace, I walked over to the basement door then turned to Rich. He shrugged and simply said, "Your choice." 

Now we're walking down the steps. The foul smell of mold, must, blood, sweat and urine greet me full force and it takes everything in me not to hold my nose. There is only one light at the foot of the stairs but it's so dim it's yellow. The one window is to the left, on Jake's side. I hate this drab, depressing hell but I'd rather be down here than with creepy Rich. 

By the time I get to the last step I glance over at Jake's empty corner. He's huddled in a ball on the cemented floor, leaving me to assume he's asleep. There were boxes on his side but Rich moved them to my side of the room. Even if I wanted to get to them I couldn't with my short chain.

After Rich chains me he leaves, slamming the door with violent force. The mere fact that I'd rather be down here must have insulted him but I could care less. I hate him.

My lips part to yawn, reminding me of how tired I am. I didn't get much sleep last night so even though it's in the middle of the day I decide a nap would be best. I lay down on the uncomfortable spring mattress, tossing and turning for a few seconds until I find a comfortable position. With a tired sigh,  I close my eyes but before I can drift off he speaks.

"Why..." his voice is small and hesitant when he questions. Maybe he's testing the waters of my emotional state. "Why did you come back down here?"

My first thought is to pretend like I'm asleep but what good would that do? He knows I didn't fall asleep that quickly. Now my second thought would be to simply tell him the reason; because although I loathe this place, I'm at peace down here. I'm comforted by my own silence; plus Rich can't get to me easily down here. At least I'm here with someone and not completely vulnerable. But because I deem those answers as selfish I don't reply at all. Instead, I sit up and adjust my body to his side of the room to listen to what he has to say. 

"I just don't get it," he sighs heavily. "You had a chance to end this but you didn't."  I can see his head slowly moving from side to side. So my intuition was right; he thinks I can help him escape. 

"I...I don't have a chance at anything." I mumble. It's easier not to fight. Just stay here and survive. 

"We can form a plan. I mean we could try. You distract him while I sneak in and kill him."  He begins to ramble, on the verge of insanity.

"Kill? No, no. You can't do that." I crawl a little bit towards him before stopping. I'm keeping my distance. The last time I got too close I ended up with a black eye while he received a broken nose. 

"I have my family, friends, and Gia back home. I have to see them and to do that I have to kill him," his voice edges with persistence.

"He can't be killed. If you try and fail he'll do worse to me." I start tugging the end strands of my hair while rocking. If Rich trusts me it's definitely better than him not trustng me. I want to stay on his good side and if Jake ruins that I'll suffer from Rich's cruel wrath.

"You're really afraid of him, aren't you?"

I've already admitted that much to myself. Rich scares the hell of me and it bothers me. It annoys me because there's never been a time when I had to be afraid until now. I mean I've never been in situations that leave me with bruises and emotional turmoil. I can't adjust to this and I don't know if I ever will but I do know one thing is certain; I don't want to die.