Eight.

Eight.

[The beginning is the continuation of Livie's dream]

After hanging up on Kelly's prank call I snuggle into my cold sheets. The nerve of them to call my cell to try to scare me. With all of the torment she gave me this year one would think she'd had enough by now. I know I screwed up and I probably deserve her hateful wrath, but losing my bestfriends is a heavier price to pay. 

With a small sigh, I shake my head while turning on my side. With my hands under my pillow, I drift off into a peaceful slumber.

**

Two loud 'pops' echo through the entire house and wakes me up. With an alarmed heart and wide eyes, I quickly sit up. My phone is on my nightstand so I grab it, only to realize the battery is dead. I forgot to charge it.

Looking at my wristwatch I see it's 2:40 a.m. Oh my God, my parents. Throwing the covers back, I scramble out of bed and run straight towards the stairs.

With my hand on the rail, I start to descend but I'm stopped when I hear an unfamiliar voice. 

"I loved you and you know that!" The angry male voice yells. 

What is going on? I creep down a few more steps to get a better look. My body leans forward while I peek over the railing. A shocked gasp parts my lips when I see a figure covered in all black from head to toe. The longer I stare the more my eyes start to water because on the floor in front of him lies two motionless bodies. 

The little light from the kitchen allows me to see the deep cherry red liquid pooling on the beige foyer  rug.  A jolt of pain passes through my heart, making me clutch it. Is this what heartache feels like? 

I watch in horror when he bends down to a body. My mother. Her blond hair glows in the light pouring from the kitchen.

"I'm so sorry." He sobs before firing several more times.

Suppressing a scream with my mouth, I turn on my heel and sprint up the rest of the stairs. By the time I make it to the top, my heart is still beating like a drum while my breaths are short pants. I hear footsteps behind me so I run to my room.  

With my hands on the door I push forward to close it but a sudden force knocks me backwards. My eyes tear more when I see the evil figure standing over me. His steps are slow and steady as he approaches my shaking body. I'm terrified and from the evil smirk plastered on his face, he's enjoying this.

**

My dream is interrupted by the noisy sound of glass breaking. Opening my groggy eyes, I see a figure near the window. He's hunched over, breathing tiredly. I roll my eyes because I already know who it is. I just don't know how he unlocked his chain. 

"Jake!" I whisper after sitting up. 

The clash of bottles and boxes being thrown around fills my ears and irritates my nerves. 

"What are you doing? If you get caught-"

"Just stop talking for one second." He limps over to me. His right hand presses the bandage on his abdomen. The blood seeping through is transparent. 

"I need to get to a hospital. Now I'll only ask once, are you in?"

"You're leaving?"

"No, I'm just going to stay here and bleed to death." He states dryly.