Twelve.

Twelve

The heavy rain is calming me while I bathe. Scattered intervals of rumbling thunder and sharp lightning drown out my focus on this horrible situation. It's oddly funny how the one thing that scares most, soothes me.

Once I finish bathing I take the time to go back over my thoughts. If Rich is here, in this house with us then wouldn't he be quick to let us know? I mean he's cunning, which makes him great at predictinng our moves. Which could mean that he's outside, waiting for us to run straight to him. With that thought, I make a mental reminder to tell Jake my thoughts about Rich. If he is following us then we need to be ready for him.

Anyway, my next train of thoughts randomly bounce around my head like a ball in a pinball machine.

Going from my horrid nightmare to Jake's attractive smile. Shaking my head, I bite my lip while wondering why I just thought of that. He has a girlfriend. What's wrong with me?

With my head back, I decide to plunge myself deeper into the leukwarm water. My ears rush with water while my cheeks puff from holding my breath. I need to relax and this is the very thing that will help me.

While I'm under, a scene of faces quickly breeze through my mind. Like a cinema of all the people I've met in my life. Eyes, noses and lips formed into faces of all shapes and colors.

A sudden knock causes my head to quickly lift up. My breathing steadies at the sound of a soothing, motherly tone.

"If you don't get out the wrinkle monster's gonna get you." She uses her long, lean arms to lift me out of the tub.

"But I like the water mommy." I say in my innocent, four year old voice.

My wet hair clings to my face, forcing her to remove strands.

Her heart shaped face mirrors a frown before a small smile flahses across her red lips.

"Yeah, well the water will be here tomorrow night." She taps my button nose with a dainty finger.

Soon, we're out of the bathroom and I'm in my room. She dresses me in my Barbie pajamas while singing our favorite bedtime song.

"One two, straighten your room,

Three four, close your door,

Five six, pick up Liv

Seven eight, goodnight kiss

Nine ten, let rest begin"

She finishes while tucking me in.

Sighing lightly, I watch as her captivating blue eyes shine down on mine. My mommy. I smile while she gently places her forehead on my small one. Lifting my small arms, I pat her beautiful brown hair before she pulls away.

With a playful grin, she shakes her hair on my face, tickling me.

"Night, my little Liv." Her small lips spread sincerely once my eyes begin to flutter.

*

"Livie!"

A roar of static fills my ears before I sit up with a racing heart. The water from the tub is all over the dark tiles, making them glisten like a sea in the moonlight.

"What are you doing in there; drowning?" I hear again. What? Where is that coming from?

My eyes travel from the tiles to the counter where the walkie talkie sits. Oh shit, Jake.