Thirty Two.

Thirty Two.

Jake asked no questions when I told him my plan. He was just as eager as I was to get Rich the death penalty for murdering his dad. Except, my dad wasn't the only victim. I lost my mom and my daughter. My daughter. It feels weird to say that. Maybe because it's been a year since I've lost her. It's been three hundred and sixty five days since our bond has diminished. Sometimes I think about Reyna and how well off she'd be. Would I have really kept her? Or would I have given her up after six months? I don't really know. I mean I had her for one week and I couldn't keep my hands off of her. I carried her everywhere with me. She was my only family, and now she is gone. Tears swell in my eyes, and my throat burns as old memories re-emerge. I need to forget. I have to forget everything.

"So we're really going through with this?" He asks once we make it to the parking lot. It's currently six a.m. and we've just crept out of the hospital. I know it seems impossible to do but you'd be surprised how many nurses fall asleep during graveyard shift.

"They can't really stop us. We're adults now." I pull my jacket tighter. We've been away from Rich for a week, and yet it feels like an eternity. A small ache settles in my chest at that thought. 

"Do you miss him?" His concern is strong. So strong that it stops me in my path. This moment reminds me of the first time he told me Rich liked me.It caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting him to ask me that.  

"What's your real reason for wanting to go back there? And don't say it's 'cause of me?" He chuckles at the last part. 

I'm forced to smile at the melodic sound of his sexy laugh. I love everything about him.

"Jake, not everything is about you." I giggle when he pouts playfully.  

Sighing heavily, I admit the rest of the truth.

"I... I just need some evidence first. And some of it is in that house." 

We're still in Pennsylvania, meaning the house he kept us in has plenty of evidence. Evidence we need to have for the police. 

"Evidence or closure, Livie?" 

He turns me to face him. I can feel his stare on me. His unadulterated, raw stare dissecting me piece by piece. But instead of meeting his gaze, I aim mine to the ground.

Tears form in my eyes at the thought of closure. All of Reyna's belongings are in that house. Every memory of her being is there. A mother's worse nightmare is losing her child, and I faced that head on. This is why I need to forget. But no matter how many times I try to, I just can't.  

"Her blanket is there...it's-" I start to cry softly. My eyes sting while my body locks onto Jake's as he holds me tighter. I need her with me. I need something that reminds me of my daughter because I feel lost without her.  

He consoles me while I sob hysterically. His arms wrap around my back while mine grip his jacket. I know he feels my salty droplets and mucus but he doesn't say anything. He just let's me cry it out. 

#

After two buses, a taxi, and walking three miles we finally make it to the cabin. I fell asleep in the taxi and was surprised when I didn't wake from a nightmare. My cheeks heated when I realized Jake's arm was wrapped around my shoulder while I leaned into him. His intoxicating smell of sweet lemon made my insides twist. Not only does he look good, but he smells good too. 

We walk through the forest in silence, stepping on rugged ground full of snow covered sticks and rocks. My arm is draped around his waist while his rests on my shoulder. I close my eyes, allowing myself to be enamored in him. Just the thought of him makes my heart beat faster, and the way he smiles at me; confident yet playful makes my knees weak. I sigh in content, thinking about us. Wondering if he feels the same. Or, if I'm just some easy thing to him. I mean I said I loved him and he didn't really reply the way I thought he would.