Thirteen.

Thirteen.

"Are you crazy?" I blurt out after a few moments of silence. We're still in his dad's old office, standing inches apart. His eyes are no longer on mine. They're glued to the floor.

"No, but I'm starving."

Ignoring his growling stomach, and mine I ask,

"Can we just get out of here?"

Instead of trying to solve this murder, we need to focus on getting to safety. Rich is still looking for us so we need to get somewhere safe, somewhere he isn't. I know what he'll do if he catches us, that's why I'm not staying here to get caught.

"Yeah, just let me break the gun case first." He mumbles before walking to the closet.

As soon as he leaves, a sudden flash of lightning strikes outside, illuminating the room for a second before everything goes black.

"Jake!" I shout while trying to feel around the dark room. My arms and legs move aimlessly while being guided blindly. What's worse than darkness? The obvious answer is not being able to see in the darkness. It's like being blind folded with no sense of sight, only being led by what you feel with your arms outstretched. It's a terrible thing because I never know what I'll hit next.

I curse under my breath when my knee hits the overturned desk for the third time. Where the hell is he? I've been calling him but he hasn't responded. With weighted fear over me like a dreary cloud, I somehow make my way out of the room.

After stumbling a few times, I finally make it to the stairs. If I  can find the generator then maybe we'll have some light. I'm about to take a step when I feel myself being roughly pulled back. Before I can scream, a hand covers my mouth. I don't think about the smell of detergent, or the way their arm is wrapped around my mid section in a painless way. All I can think about is the devil himself. Rich.

Tears unknowingly pour out while my mind spirals out of control. I can't let him win.  I have to get away. I think while I twist and turn, trying to fight the perpetrator off.

"Shh! He'll hear you." A familiar, semi- deep voice whispers.

My futile attempts to fight cease when I realize it's Jake. With my hands still holding onto his forearm, I shake my head so he'll release his hold.

"He's," I swallow the hard lump in my throat at the thought if him actually being here. "He's in here?"

He nods fervently before taking my hand again. I'm not in tune with my feelings or body anymore as we run down the hallway. Our legs move swiftly, both of our feet pattering down the hall in the quiet blackness.

The longer we run, the more I can feel myself slowly slipping away. I'm in too much of a daze to know where he took us. All I know is that the powerful slam of the door made me jump.

I watch him use his flashlight to observe his surroundngs. The harsh light lands on me so I use my forearm to protect my eyes. Soon, the flashlight is in my hands. He tells me to point it to a spot in the room while he grabs the objects he needs. With a small sigh, I comply. I point the light in every direction he tells me to until he has enough items against the door.

"This should hold him until we think of something." He walks over to me with a stressed look. The light is still on him when I see how tense his shoulders are. His soft eyes land on me before quickly scanning the room again.

I look around too. Skimming the room for something that can help us. My eyes go from the family pictures on the wall, and cards that read 'Grandmother' to a queen sized bed in the corner. The simple lilac and cream colors, give me room to conclude that we're in a relative's room. His grandmother.