Twenty Four.

Twenty Four.

Blinding lights pierce my eyes, forcing my forearm to shield them. The heat from those lights illuminate my skin, making a few beads of sweat appear. The sudden sound of the crowd cheering causes a blush to force itself on my cheeks.

"Livie!" I hear my mom call my name so I turn to see her standing backstage.

"Remember to smile and make eye contact. Be poised, be perfect." She mouths to me with a bright smile.

Nodding my head, I turn my attention to the three judges in front of us. This is the final stage of the pageant. The stage where they determine and crown the winner.

I wait patiently- with my hands interlocked behind my back and one foot forward-  as our names are called. All fifteen of us give broad, pretty smiles, appearing to be perfect angels.  We remain poised and perfect like how proper young ladies should be. Our hair is perfect, our skin is flawless, and our attire is impeccable.

I'm in the group aged twelve to thirteen. With me being twelve, this is my first year being placed in the pre-teen category. I know I should be nervous, going against so many prettier girls than myself, but I'm not. I've been in pageants since I was five so I'm not as nervous as I was before.

Anyway, the judges deliberate and soon they come to a decision. My teeth take hold of my bottom lip while waiting. I hear a foot tapping a few people down from me. The girl is nervous and I part of me feels sorry for her. The judges deduct points when we tap our feet.

I want to win but I'm not to the point where I'll go crazy if I lose. Like my friend Kelly. She's thirteen and feeds off of this type of thing. Her dress is a stunning shade of turquoise, complimenting her natrually strawberry blonde hair and hazel eyes. And like always, her mom is standing next to mine, coaching her as well. I never understood that. Kelly was born for this, unlike me.

Looking down, I notice how my dress looks appropriate for a twelve year old. It's cupped sleeves slightly hang off my shoulders while the scoop neck top only reveals my collarbone. I don't have much chest to show anyway so my mom made the right choice. The rest of the lilac dress falls to the floor and hides my silver heels. Yes, heels. My mom makes me wear them to gain practice for these pageants. I hate them.

"So the judges have come to a unaminous vote. Now, give another round of applause to the candidates." The announcer revs up the crowd.

I'm trying so hard to keep smiling but my gums are starting to hurt.

The judges announce the runner ups first. Third place goes to a girl with long, brown curly hair. Her name is Mira and she's really nice. I come in second and the winner, of course, is Kelly. I'm not surprised. She's so much better at this than I am.

"Good job Liv!"

"You too Kel!" We hug before running off to our families. I have my second place trophy in my manicured hands and I'm content.

Smiling proudly, I hold it up for my mom and, wait- 

"Where's dad?" I ask with furrowed brows. My eyes move around the busy backstage, trying to spot my father. He should be here. 

"Smile Liv!"

A bright camera flashes in front of my eyes, forcing me to blink rapidly. She took the picture when I wasn't ready. But that's the least of my worries.

"Where is he?" I speak impatiently. My dad and I rarely speak but when we do he always tells me how proud he is of me.

"He's working. You know how that goes." She shrugs it off uncaringly. The way her shiny red lips curve with a sly grin makes me question verity in her statement.