Chapter one--It's Sinking in

BOOK THREE! I can't even believe that. For those who love Kellan, Jaxon and Wren as much as I do, this is for you. :)

Inky notations littered the margins of every page in my family's grimoire

Inky notations littered the margins of every page in my family's grimoire. I flipped to the location spell I was looking for, and a comment in a large loopy font caught my attention.

Heed precision in executing the required number of stirs in the counter-clockwise direction.

I giggled at the odd note and ran my hand over the library table surface in thought. What was the worst that could happen, the liquid would condense into a paste? I stopped laughing and pressed my lips together when I read the note beneath it. The added remark cursed the previous witch's comment for failing to mention the volatile nature of the potion. They'd been careless and stirred beyond what was needed and were now missing their cauldron and half their kitchen.

Using a location spell to find Kellan might not be such a good idea. I inhaled in a long breath and let it out slowly. The air still held a smoky scent from me lighting Astra's favorite books on fire. Accidents seemed to follow me everywhere. My luck, I'd try one of these spells and blow up the entire guild tower. God and circle help me if that happened. Even Jaxon's money wouldn't save me from Astra's wrath if she lost another precious volume to my carelessness.

Sage loomed over my shoulder reading the open book in front of me. I jumped when she burst into a fit of laughter, and the ruby colored scarf covering my hair fell back to drape my shoulders.

"I would've loved to see that flying cauldron. Better yet, a glimpse of the witch's face when she saw her kitchen!"

"You're so warped." I closed the tattered leather cover, having read enough disastrous incantations for one day.

Sage grinned, and her eyes lit up a brief spark of color. "I have you know, warped is one of my best qualities."

I chuckled. "You might be right."

"Besides, that spell book should come with those warning stickers parents put on chemicals and cans under the sink." She rested her backside against the edge of the table, and her strawberry blonde hair hung over her shoulder. "You're not seriously thinking of trying it."

"Wren?" my mother called out in a hushed tone.

I raised my arm above the bookshelves and waved. "I have to find some way to get a hold of Kellan," I whispered to Sage.

Her lips drew into a thin line, and she nodded. "I know. Just don't get your hopes up. If Kellan planned on being here, he would've arrived over a week ago."

He'd promised, and I couldn't shake the feeling there was something wrong.

"Maybe this will help." Sage dumped her coat onto the table with a thud.

I lifted the corner of her jacket with my pencil, spying the familiar volume beneath it. "Too afraid to pick it up with your bare hands?"

"Are you crazy? The last book I touched in here bit my freaking arm." She held her forearm in my face. "The marks still haven't healed."