Chapter Thirteen (part 2)--Forbidden Kisses

Turned on, the single light next to the bed cast shadows around the room. My note, still crisply folded in its awkward square, rested next to the base of the lamp. There was something off about the space, but I couldn't figure out what. Maybe this was another dream?

Jaxon grabbed the pillow and rolled over to face the opposite wall. "You're with him, aren't you?"

Not a dream. This was infinitely worse. Our thoughts were connected, and instead of getting to figure out what to say to Jax on the return trip home, I had seconds to gather my thoughts. His eyes reflected the hurt I'd given him, glowing a faint green and flickering on and off like a lightning bug. I opened my mouth to say something, anything—but nothing came out.

"Go away, Wren. You're good at that."

The sting of his words pained me like saltwater seeping into an open wound. I edged forward, eased on to the end of the bed and swirled a finger over the blankets' pattern, contemplating what to say.

"You haven't read my note."

"I'm right where you left me." He tucked an elbow under the pillow. "Kellan made sure of that when he trapped me inside my head. So no, I haven't had the pleasure of hearing why you've left me this time."

A sinking feeling churned inside of me. But like him, I was stuck here, forced to figure it out until whatever brought us together released us.

"Jax, it's not what you think."

"No?" He looked over his shoulder. "I've been calling for you, over and over, so I know you're not here with me. And since I know the only person who'd dare drug my drink is Kellan, I assume you're with him."

Okay, that did sound pretty bad. "Can you at least let me try and explain?"

"It's a simple question. Are you with Kellan or not?" His eyes flashed an intense green, and the tiny gold flecks in his irises flared.

It wasn't that simple. "Kellan's with me, but I'm not with him."

Jaxon rolled back over. "Leave me be."

"Would you stop sulking for a moment and just hear me out?" I reached across and tugged his shoulder until he turned to face me. "I'm not leaving you."

"That's because you've already left."

I groaned. "Stop being so stubborn. I'm not alone with Kellan."

"Of course." He rolled his eyes. "Sage is with you."

"Her, Vega, Rygar, and Robin."

"Robin?" His brows scrunched, and his hair stuck up on one side.

He adjusted the Fire Circle jacket as if trying to get more comfortable. Given the stiff fabric it was made from, I doubted that feat would ever be possible. I had thought about trying to remove it before we left so he wouldn't have to sleep in it, but the thought of undressing him while he was unconscious felt wrong.