Chapter 17--The Misfits

WHOA! Another chapter?

I know, right! Enjoy all. :)

The night air chilled my skin, and I pulled Sage's lilac wrap tighter around me

The night air chilled my skin, and I pulled Sage's lilac wrap tighter around me. She'd picked it up from the market earlier in order to have something appropriate to wear at the trial. It was Robin's idea for everyone to trade clothes. He'd explained the guards trained to attack and defend based on their opponent's talents. He thought it might give us an advantage if the men didn't know which talent they needed to counter.

Now, Kellan, Robin, Vega, Elena, and me, huddled shoulder to shoulder with our stomachs pressed to the ground staring at the cave's entrance. While the stench of manure had dissipated throughout the day, we still smelled terrible—even the bugs left us alone. If it wasn't bad enough that we stank, we looked like homeless people that had raided a thrift bin—nothing matched or fit. Our appearance made me wonder if the guards might think we were simply color blind, deranged, or starting a misfit-talent guild they'd never heard of before. But if Robin thought it would help, who was I to argue with everyone risking their lives to rescue my dad.

I glanced up from our spot in the tall grass, watching the two sentries paced in front of the cave entrance. Even though I couldn't see Sage and Rygar by the river below, I knew they were busy building a portal back to the Water Circle. When Kellan insisted Sage stay behind too, I thought she would zap him with her bone-crushing grip.

"I can take care of myself." She'd clenched her jaw, and her eyes had glowed a bright cornflower blue.

Kellan glanced at her hands, then held up his open palms. "Trust me, I know. That's why I think you're better suited to defend our escape. We need this portal." He lowered his arms. "There's no way Wren can transport all of us with Amaress back to the Water Circle."

"Besides..." I squeezed her arm. "With my history, I might need a patch-up job, and a coffee when we're done." I gave her my best, please say yes, smile.

"Fine. But if you get your ass busted up again, I'm holding out on helping you until I have a paperwhite cup filled with caffeine, whipped cream, and chocolate sprinkles."

"You wouldn't dare."

Sage folded her arms around me and whispered in my ear. "Then, stay safe." She pulled back and grinned.

"I love you too, Sage." Since meeting her, I'd seen her talk a big game, but when it came to me, I knew she'd always be there when I needed her.

The five of us lay there on the side of the hill in silence, waiting for what seems like forever for our opening in.

Elena pushed up onto an elbow. "We're just going to walk right in through the front door? Doesn't that seem, I don't know, insane?"

Vega rolled her eyes. "I told you, we're travelling using the astral plane." She faced forward. "They won't be able to see us."