Chapter Nine (Part 3)--The decision

Hi All... Here's the chapter you've been waiting for. Sorry it took so long. I don't know why this one was so hard to write, but here it is!   I even did a special edition picture to go with it for everyone. Enjoy. :)

Brackstone waved, indicating he wanted to start. "With Kellan's knotted ring inked across her, I find it hard to argue he hasn't interfered. Fortunately for him, the Fire Circle has made it clear Wren's death is not in their best interest." He rubbed his dark beard. "Still, retribution must be awarded to compensate for the ring and his continued interference between the contracted couple. I render my judgment in favor of assigning penalties."

I don't understand. I searched Jaxon's face then Kellan's for answers. What does that mean?

Loud sheets of rain pummelled the windows. A smug smile crept across Otis' face, and Jaxon's gaze turned to Archamaeus.

Nothing yet, Jaxon finally answered. A majority judgment is needed.

"Sure, everyone stare at me." He turned to Kellan and shook a finger at him. "You're just lucky, Wren is willing to go through with the contract, or the outcome of this case would be entirely different." He faced Jaxon. "I agree with awarding penalties."

Kellan sulked in his chair like the passing judgments didn't matter.

Yes! Jaxon eased a hand into his pocket, pushed back his shoulders, puffing out his chest. "In the interest of the Fire Circle, and Wren's life, I too am only interested in seeing penalties awarded."

Kellan's supporters and the Water Circle erupted in cheers. I let out a long breath and rested my forehead against the burnt, wet boards, letting the weight of my upper body sink into them. I withheld the sob of relief deep inside me. Leaders of a circle were expected to maintain an image of strength and power, even if it was contrary to how they really felt. A blue stone on my necklace flashed, while I tried to reign in my emotions.

Jaxon stood tall with his lips turned up into a faint smile, waiting for the echoes of applause to die out. "Should we determine penalties then?"

"Judgment hasn't concluded." Kellan glared at Jax. "I still get a say."

"To what?" Jax rolled his eyes. "The council's already decided you get to live."

"Mind your place, Second. I heard." Kellan poured a baseball-sized sphere of water into his palm, rotating it with his fingers. "Still, I have to disagree with your assessment about no damages." Kellan glanced at me.

I pressed a hand to my mouth. Kellan. What are you doing?

"Isn't that right, love?" His features softened for a brief moment before he turned to Jaxon. "Not only is she connected to me in life and death, but she's also admitted to being in love with me. The way I see it, I'm guilty of all charges."