Chapter Seven--Bumps & Bruises

Hello All! Here's another installment of the book coming your way. AND for all you Kellan fans, he's even in this one. Enjoy!  :)

 Enjoy!  :)

I lay my head against Jax's chest. "How did you find me?"

Amaress peeked her head over his shoulder and licked my face.

"Gross!" I shoved her away.

Jaxon wiped the slobber from my cheek with his sleeve. A damp spot still wet my nose, and I rubbed it dry.

He pointed to Amaress. "Your smelly, slobbering beast led the way. She took off the moment she heard me holler your name." He scooped me up in his arms and stood. "I should've followed her from the start. When I couldn't find you, I went back to camp, saddled an equestar and took off after her. I figured if she found Elena twice, she'd probably find you too."

"Better than a dog. She's—" I pressed the back of my hand to my split lip and cringed. The stinging pain eased with the pressure. She's quite the tracker, huh?

Definitely. But scarier than any mutt I've met. A breeze caught Jax's hair and hid his eyes. "She almost barbecued Robin when we crossed paths." He carried me toward my lumbering rescuer. "Not that she could with my mad skills around to stop her."

"I was hidden from view." Robin exited the trees. "You two didn't even know I was there."

Jaxon chuckled. "I didn't need to. Amaress just about took your head off with that blast of flames."

"You don't see me laughing." Robin stepped around a bush and tugged on the reins of an equestar. "Since when are Prongmera aggressive? Defensive, yes. But I never did anything to provoke that stupid beast."

Amaress glared at Robin and growled, then chased a rodent into an underground burrow.

"See?" He pointed. "How about you two ride Vicious, and I'll take the nice, non-firebreathing equestar."

Jaxon didn't look thrilled at that proposal. I glanced at Amaress huffing flames into the burrow. She waited next to the hole for the creature to surface into her open jaws.

"Amaress?" I called.

She jerked her head up and trotted over, wagging her long tail thrashing a nearby bush of its berries.

I held my hand to her nose. "Do you think you can give Jaxon and me a ride?"

Jax placed me on my feet. My knees buckled, and he caught me before I crumpled to the ground. Amaress sniffed the air and looked from me to Jaxon. She held her stare for a moment, then wagged her tail.

"You know what? I think she's gonna let you ride."

"Think? Last time I tried to touch her, she almost bit my arm off."