Chapter Ten (part 2)--Infuriated

Kellan's lips hovered a breath from mine.

"I knew you wanted me," he whispered. "But there's no reason for you to throw yourself at me."

"Shut up." I pounded his chest with my fist. "I'm trying to prevent your circles from killing each other."

The light outside the back door cast a warm glow on this face, leaving a shadow of evening darkness accentuating his features.

"Uh-huh." He wrapped his arms around me and grinned. "That's why you're out here with me. You can lie to yourself, but I know the truth."

"That you're infuriating?" I struggled against his grip, trying to ignore the tingling sensation, building inside me from our bodies being pressed together. "You used our connection to draw me here."

Jaxon scanned the area and furrowed his brow.

"Careful." Kellan's biceps pressed into my arms, preventing me from squirming out of his grasp. "If you let go of me, and I suddenly appear out of nowhere at Jaxon's feet, I think he'll know you're here with me."

I stopped trying to break his hold and froze. "I hate you."

"Now, is that any way to talk to your future partner?"

I let out a groan in frustration. "In case you missed today's court session, my future partner is standing right there."

The playful smile drained from Kellan's face. "He's not your match, and you know it."

"The spiral ring circling my leg says otherwise."

Jaxon took one last glance around, then headed back toward the inn's door.

"He stood right there and didn't even know you were here."

The back door swung open, and Robin stepped over the threshold holding a pint. "Hey, there you are. What are you doing out here?"

"I don't know. Just paranoid, I guess." Jaxon glanced back over his shoulder, then shook his head. "For some reason, I had a feeling that Wren was out here."

I slapped Kellan's chest and waved a hand in Jax's direction. "See?"

"He might sense your presence"—the corners of his lips drew into a wide grin—"but I know."

"Shhh." I held my fingers to his lips, wanting to hear the two of them at the door.

"Man, you have it bad for her." Robin took a swig from the pint, and some of the golden liquid sloshed onto the ground from his quick movement.

Jaxon's shoulders slumped, and he sighed. "Kind of hard to deny that after today."

"Come on." Robin stuck his foot in the door jam, holding the door open. "She's probably still inside with Sage."