Chapter Seven (part 2)--The things you do for love

TWO updates in one weekend? This is a rare event. Hope you like this update!

I could see the tiny cell they'd locked Kellan in via our link

I could see the tiny cell they'd locked Kellan in via our link. Obsidian everywhere. By the look of the filthy covers tossed over the cot and lack of anything else in the room, I doubted even his mother had visited him. I stumbled forward with Jaxon's assistance, and the two of them ready to fight it out in my head.

It seems I have quite a bit of time on my hands. Kellan plunked down on the cot and flicked a massive cockroach-like bug from the stained mattress.

Funny, that's not what I hear. Jax helped me around a stump. I'm told you don't have much time left and that's why you need my help.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective, isn't it? He pulled his legs up onto the cot and lean against the wall. She hasn't told you she loves you—has she?

Kellan... I dropped my head into my hands.

We're only hours from the council deciding your fate, and you think aggravating me is going to help your case? Jaxon clenched his fist, and his eyes went a bright amber.

So she hasn't. Kellan smirked and wrapped his arms around his knees.

Ah, but she was kissing me last night, not you.

Kellan's ring marking my chest stung icy cold, and I rubbed the mark trying to eliminate the piercing feeling. I knew this point hurt him, no matter what he said next.

It's the call of your ring forcing a connection, Kellan answered. I'm surprised it's taken this long to wear her down. That alone must tell you where her love lies.

Jaxon stood and shook out his hands. A low flame clung to his palms.

"Jax?" I reached out to grab his arm.

He backed away and held both hands in the air. "I need a minute, maybe several." He trudged past Rygar and Jessica, then disconnected from my thoughts. When he got to the cliff's edge, he paced a small circle then stared out over the valley below.

Why did you have to go and do that? Do you have any idea what he's been through to help me? He doesn't deserve that.

What do I deserve? You kissing other guys? How do you think I feel? I'm the one locked up for being in love with you. What about the things I've given up?

You're jealous.

No. He picked at a thread on the tattered blanket. Well, yes if you must know. He's there with you, and I'm stuck in this stupid cage trying to ignore the knotted ring's call. He screamed and whipped the grimy pillow at the cell door. The worst part is, it's all my fault.