Chapter Ten (part 3)--The Crappy Truth

Hey All!

Yup, I'm back writing. I have one more book publishing at the end of the month on AMAZON, so it's been sucking up all my time until now. ...but hey it's full speed ahead with this story now. :)

Kellan's devious grin reached up to his eyes, making them sparkle and draw me in. "How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Nauseated, thanks to you."

"Whatever it takes for Jaxon to keep his hands to himself." Kellan's smile faded, and his eyes flashed a brief electric blue. "I'm your match—not him."

"Not to be a downer..." Sage rested her butt against the counter. "But I think Jaxon has other plans that don't include you. Robin booked our sleeping arrangements for him when we got here." She turned her gaze from Kellan to me, then scrunched her nose, making me think that she had meant to tell me earlier and had forgotten. "The top floor room is yours and Jaxon's."

"Not if I can help it." Kellan pushed up his sleeves and stormed toward the door.

"Kellan, no!" I dashed around him and blocked his path, with my arms spread wide in front of him. "Don't you dare."

He crossed his arms. "You're not spending the night with him."

"I don't think you're in the position to say anything about it."

He narrowed his eyes and took another step closer. "Like hell I'm not."

"You're not going out there." I jumped in front of the door, pressing my back against the bolt. "Not through this door anyway."

"Get out of the way, Wren." He closed the distance between us. "You weigh practically nothing, moving you won't be a problem."

"Don't be an idiot. What do you think will happen to Wren, if Jaxon finds out you two are spending some alone time together." She hopped up on the counter. "You won't have any girl to fight for if she's dead."

That's the crappy truth. Her statement only now registered the consequences of how stupid I was for wanting to see Kellan. "See? Even Sage thinks going out there is a terrible idea."

That didn't come out as planned. I already wished I could take back my comment.

"Hey..." She scoffed, sounding offended. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're not exactly the epitome of common sense," I answered.

"And you are?" Her lips curled, and her cheeks puckered like she was about to burst into a fit of laughter. "Don't pin this mess on me, this one"—she gestured to Kellan—"is all yours."

I groaned and stuck my tongue out at her.

"It's all right, Sage," Kellan said without lifting his gaze from me. "I'm beginning to think Wren's allergic to the concept of common sense."

"That's rich, coming from you." I yanked the top edge of my bodice down an inch, exposing his ring. "Because this hasn't gotten either of us into any trouble."

"Well, I did have enough sense to find out where they're keeping your father, while you were off with whats-his-name." He closed the distance between us and feathered his fingers over his watery mark inking my skin. "I know where my loyalties lie."

Loyalties? I would have agreed to partner with Otis himself to keep Kellan safe. When is he going to get none of this is about what I want? I brushed his hand away, but the heat of his touch lingered and seeped into my bones like a parched desert waiting for the rain. To top off my emotions working overtime, my stupid heart raced faster with each passing second he stood in front of me. I licked my lips.

"That's not fair. We wouldn't be in this situation if you'd..." The sentence stuck in my throat. The truth was we'd both made mistakes, and pointing fingers wouldn't change things, and more importantly, it wasn't fair to Jax.

"What's that?" Kellan chuckled, then lifted my chin with his fingers. "You're finally admitting if I had asked first, we'd already be partners. Now, we're getting somewhere."

But he didn't ask me. He'd asked Jessica. I pressed my lips together, determined not to answer him. "So, where's my father?"

"Why?" A grin spread across his face, and his white shirt stretched across him, showing off his muscular chest. "You want to take a trip with me?

"You're relentless."

"Am I?" He tilted his head to the side, and his hair slid across his forehead and covered his left eye. The bruises on his cheek were fading, but the pink scar from my encounter with Otis still shone a bright pink.

My stomach twisted with the thought of everything he'd gone through to be with me, and here we were, still not together. I folded my arms across my stomach, crushing the fabric to my body.

"Just thought you might be interested." He placed his hand on the door next to my head and leaned in until his lips skimmed my earlobe. "You know, in getting him out."

His warm breath tickled my ear, and his breezy sea scent drove shivers through my core. I pushed him, forcing him to take a step back. "Stop it."

"Stop what?" He rubbed his chin and looked up beneath his dark lashes. "I thought you wanted to get your dad back."

"Of course I do, but I can't go anywhere with you." I flexed my clammy hands, then shook them out. The connection between us grabbed hold of me like a magnet not willing to let go. "Jaxon would never allow it."

"Since when have rules stopped you?" Sage hopped down from the counter, fanning herself. "You two are hot, by the way. Like really hot. I could watch you all day."

"Sage..." I rolled my eyes and stepped around Kellan.

"Well, you are." She wiped her wet hands on her pants. "Besides you didn't let Otis' dungeon deter you from going after your mom."

"Jax isn't exactly going to let me run off with Kellan to rescue my Dad."

A bolt clicked, and the weathered door behind us squeaked open.

"Leave that to me." Kellan stepped into the hall, letting the door swing shut.

Sage's mouth dropped open. "Oh no, that's not good."

THANKS for reading! If you want a copy of my ebook, Howling at the Moon, check out my website: www.amberdboyd.com to get a copy! If you liked this chapter, how about give Wren some LOVE advice below. (I think the girl could use some.) LOL.