Chapter Nine (Part 4)--Fame and Fortune

Hello, Charmer fans! I'm away on vacation at a medieval festival. Yes, with jousters on horseback in full armor lancing each other with sticks. Crazy to watch. It's about 38 degrees celsius here and I can hardly believe people can even wear armor in his heat. 

Anyway, I've managed to pull together an update for you, but I want to see if I can get another one done by Monday. Hope you like the latest. 

Jaxon grabbed my hand as he passed, not stopping to talk. The uproar of the audience filled the arena. With Jaxon's hardened expression and fiery grip, I knew better than to ask what his father had said.

What the hell did Otis say to you? Well, I might have known better, but after everything that had just happened, sound words of wisdom burnt into an ashy waste pile.

Not now, Wren. He jerked my arm, tugging me up the stairs behind him. "We're leaving."

Not now? I just splayed my heart out there, and that's all you can say? I could feel the anger bubble up inside me. I can't even be in the same room as Kellan without burning down or dousing something in water. Even now I could feel the ring's pull calling me to him. How do you think the next two days will go? "Jaxon, slow down." I stumbled up the next stair. "I can't keep up in these shoes."

"Sorry." He halted, and his shoulders slumped. I don't want you on the same planet as him, forget being in the same room. But I didn't have a choice.

I climbed two more stairs and stood on the dusty step beneath him. Of course, you had a choice.

No, I didn't, he answered.

Our friends whooped and hollered from the section in front of us. Someone let out an ear-piercing whistle at the top of the stairs, and we both looked up.

"Burnell!" Brackstone junior's lips spread into a broad, toothy smile, showing off the gap between his two front teeth.

He splayed his thick fingers in front of him. Two stones on his bracelet glowed a charcoal gray, and he pulled in his fingers together into a flat, extended palm. The stairs beneath him transformed into a stone slide, and his shoes slid against the surface. I half expected him to collide with us until he splayed his fingers when he was only a few feet away, making the stairs reappear under his feet.

"Jaxon, you bandit." He slapped his hand down on Jax's shoulder, and let out a boisterous laugh. "Stones, equestars, prongmera"—he dragged his gaze up my frame until he stared directly at my face—"and a partnership with this lovely talent? I do believe we have a reason to celebrate tonight."

Not being used to someone so openly complimenting me, I looked at the ground with my cheeks getting hotter by the second.

If he keeps staring at you like that, I swear I'm going to punch him. Jax squeezed my hand tighter. "Miss a party? Zane, you know me better than that."