Chapter Eleven

Here's the next installment! Enjoy. :)

I stared at the peeling paint on the bathroom door, wishing I had X-ray vision. "You don't think he's going to do anything stupid, do you?"

She raised an eyebrow and let out a chuckle. "You've met Kellan. What do you think?"

I didn't have to think, my gut churned with the answer. I wiped my hands down my face and sucked in a gulp of air. "Why do things always have to be so complicated?"

"Who said life was going to be easy?" Sage's cornflower-blue eyes sparked, and she let loose a wide grin. "Besides this is way more entertaining."

"So happy I can oblige." I smacked her shoulder with the back of my hand and paced a circle trying to figure my way out of being strung up.

"Can you blame me? I've been healing the pox for over a week and without movies, technology or lattes to get me through. I'm going through withdrawal." She shrugged. "I may be from here, but I'm all for Earth's technological advancements. Especially when they are covered in whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles."

"You're bent."

She tilted her head and laughed. "Already established."

I halted my pacing and gestured toward the door. "One thing's for sure. We can't go out that way, so let's try this one." I grabbed her wrist and marched toward the back wall.

"Oh, no. Not this again."

I yanked the blanket of the astral plane tight around us and walked through the wall, dragging Sage behind me.

"It's fr-freezing!" Sage's teeth chattered together. "How did Kellan stay in this frozen wasteland so long?"

Good question. "He didn't even flinch from this world's icy cold."

"Maybe this is one of the talents he's drawing from you?"

We headed along the side of the building until we got to a group of bushes. Once hidden between two leafy shrubs, Sage glanced around, then pulled her arm from my grip. The tip of her nose was pink and her cheeks rosy red, like she'd been outside in the frigid weather too long. I dropped the veil and welcomed the warmth of the physical world back to my senses.

"Come to think of it, when Kellan was with me I never even noticed the cold."

Sage giggled and rubbed her arms. "What were you two doing to keep warm?"

I groaned. "Get your mind out of the gutter, will you? It wasn't like that." I peeked through a gap in the shrub to ensure we wouldn't be spotted coming out of hiding.

"Is that disappointment, or just plain yearning I sense in your voice?" she said drawing out her voice in a teasing kind of way.

"Would you focus?" I pushed open the front door of the pub. "I'm engaged to Jaxon. End of story."