Chapter 4

The guard takes my arm and leads me the opposite way.

I sigh as he takes me through a back door. People run around frantically, fighters are practicing or stretching. Female fighters are getting dressed up.

The guard sits me down and a woman rushes towards me. "You are late." She hisses at the guard.

"Claire I got here as fast as I could." The guard harshly whispers back as he looks around.

I eye the woman as she takes a bag and puts it beside the vanity beside me.

My eyes widen as she pulls out makeup. I swallow harshly and shake my head quickly. She raises an eyebrow "What?" I look at the brush she has and shake my head again.

She looks at the guard and he shrugs his shoulders. She rolls her eyes at me and leans towards me again with the brush. I jump up out of my seat shaking my head. She scoffs.

"I don't have time to deal with you." She takes her makeup bag and struts off.

The guard shakes his head at me. Some guy then comes up to him. "Hey Jeremy where is Roger?"

The man is very tall and skinny. His hair is chestnut brown and his eyes are gray. He has deep laugh lines and dimples beside his eyes.

"He isn't fighting Roger."  Jeremy states simply.

The mans eyes widen "What do you mean! I have on here the king is entering the runt competition ."

Jeremy doesn't take his eyes off me as we stare at each other. "He is. But not Roger ." Before the guy can say anything Jeremy continues. "He is fighting her."

The man looks at me and burst out laughing. "She doesn't even look like she can throw a punch." Jeremy simply shrugs.

"He must be trying to kill her, sick bastard." The guy laughs.

"Yes I do suppose I am sick." The man pales as a shiver goes through my body at August's voice. At the same time I feel like I could cry.

"Your-your Majesty I-" August laughs at the boys attempts.

August looks at the two men in black behind him and look back at the boy.

"Take him away." The boy gasp and stutters on apologizes and begs for forgiveness but the two men take him away. Not only does August have blood on his hands, he makes sure everyone working for him does as well.

August looks at me and smirks as he walks to me.

"You look absolutely pathetic." He states picking up a piece of my hair. He rolls his eyes as he tosses it at me.

He bends down to my level and smiles.

"Now normally this is when the trainer or coaches or whatever give a great encouraging speech.  I just like to keep it at if you lose and cost me money you will be punished." August sends me a wicked grin.

"Lucky for you I didn't put enough money to matter." He strokes my cheek. "This is just to see if you are worthy."

Looking in his eyes I feel as though there is a double meaning.