Chapter 13

Atticus gives her a smile and a nod. "Yes May he is over here." Atticus gestured to Jeremy who doesn't say a word as he eyes the pretty Brunette.

"I'm Marie but everyone calls me May. It's so nice to meet you." She puts her hand in his and he shakes it gently. I turn and see Atta and I see her looking at the girl. Her eyes tell me she is comparing herself.

I grab her hand and squeeze it. Atta looks at me and I see her eyes watering. She shakes her head and rushes out. Atticus looks after her "Is she alright? I should check on her."

My eyes widen and I quickly grab his arm. "Uh No your majesty. I- I will go after her." Atticus eyes catch mine and we both pause. Well that's a great way to treat a king.

He then nods "Of course." I turn quickly and walk out quickly following the smell of Atta. I find her down a couple of hallways leaning up against the wall. I see her trying to even her breathing but it doesn't seem to be working. I rush up to her and put my hand on her shoulder.

"Hey what's going on?" Our eyes lock and I see tears streaming down her face. I brush them away and pull her to me in a hug. I hold on to her as she sobs in my arms.

"She is so much prettier than I am." I pull her away from me and look in her eyes and shake my head.

"No of course not." I  rub her shoulders.

She scoffs. "I mean you knew she would be pretty she is of royal blood just like you. You seemed so chill about it earlier." I state not understanding why al the sudden she was breaking down.

"Yeah that's because I pictured her to look like a squid." She huffs and I choke back a laugh.

"Well she isn't a squid she is half wolf though. Plus Jeremy doesn't want her. He wants his mate. He wants you." I reassure her. "We are going to fix this just hang in there okay?"

I step back as Atta wipes her tears away and nods. "Please fix this quickly. My dragon won't take much more." I nod.

"Now let's head back." I grab her hand and lead us back.

We enter the office and all eyes are on us. I give Atticus a nod "Just experiencing home sickness is all." Atticus doesn't seem convinced but nods in response anyway. He then looks at Jeremy and May. Jeremy looks defeated as May talks his head off telling him everything about her self. August observes them but doesn't at all look happy.

Then again he never does.

I look back to Atticus and see him staring at me. We catch each other's eyes. I look away knowing he is trying to figure out why I look the way I do.

A dragon shifter has never been seen stuck in mid shift. I'm lucky I don't have a tail. But I do have sharpened teeth and nails and a few other details of a dragon. My skin is scaly luckily it is still soft.

"Now you are dismissed we will talk more at supper and let the lovely couple bond." Atticus smiles at Jeremy and May. May leads Jeremy out latched to his arm talking about the garden she wants to show him. August follows suit behind them as a guard shows him to his room. Atta looks at me with a goofy grin and I raise my eye brows at her in question.

"Well I'll come find you after I've been shown our room okay? Okay." Atta then walks off with a guard leaving me confused.

I hear a deep chuckle and turn to see King Atticus looking at me. "I suppose I'm not doing to well at hiding my fondness for you."

My eyes widen. "Pardon?" He chuckles as he takes a step towards me.

"Well I'm glad you didn't notice. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut." Atticus states with a playful smile dancing on his lips. It is so weird, here they are much more laid back then at home.

I tilt my head "I noticed, but I wouldn't call it fondness for me your majesty." Someone being fond of the way I look. Impossible. Even more so impossible to believe I would do here and allow him to put crazy thoughts in my head. Im not your normal beautiful. Im beautiful in the way a scientist thinks a two headed snake is beautiful.

He follows my movement, tilting his head slightly, "If not fondness then what?"

With out a hesitation "Curiosity." I look deep in his eyes as he processes the word I just gave him. "The kind of curiosity a scientist would have." I won't sit here and pretend to be complemented by someone's eyes on me knowing it's only because I'm a freak. My hair has fallen in my face as I look into his eyes.

He grimaces "I take it you didn't volunteer for this to happen." He runs a hand through his hair. No shit. Point to the person who would volunteer I'd gladly let them take my place.

I shrug my shoulders "Atta has to be protected. And if the humans are mutating things then I guess us dragons had to take it up a notch." Atticus crosses his arms his red eyes stare into mine. I can't seem to ignore the fact I can't seem to breath. I immediately shake any feels crawling up my spin. He will get bored soon.

"I do have a question." I ask bluntly. I need to go ahead and get this over with. It would be much better to do this and get it over with so Atta can have two protectors.

He raises his eyebrows and causally leans on his desk. He gives me a nod encouraging me to continue.

"Why an arranged marriage. You could easily sign papers, throw a ball or something. Why an arrangement between people who haven't even met their mate." My eyes narrow the idea making my stomach turn. The idea of someone destroying someone's chances of finding their mate for their own needs disgust me.

Though my eyes widen at his words and I'm more confused.

"I thought both of their mates had been deceased?" He looks at me closely obviously confused. "Mays mate died in a rogue attack a few months before the treaty. August had told me Jeremy's mate had also passed. Though he never told me how."

A growl escapes my mouth. The nerve of my mate.