Chapter 4

Kaya walked beside the teacher she recognized as Mr. Miller. She heard another set of footsteps but didn't bother to turn around to check. Her eyes sockets ceased tearing, but her face had darkened, every shadow expressed into guilt and the fingers that had made the grooves ached. Her expression was covered by her brown hair, so anyone passing by that hadn't yet heard the news could only guess what had happened. By the time they reached the principal's office, she guessed that her incident had spread through the school, for Mrs. Jones was expecting them.

"Come in, Ms. and Mrs. Dreemurr," she said. "You can go help settle the chaos, Mr. Miller."

Wait, Kaya thought. Mrs. Dreemurr? But, that would mean... She turned around and saw Toriel come through the door after Mr. Miller had exited.

"Thank you, Mrs. Jones," she said once she had closed the door and bowed her head slightly, still not over her royal courtesies.

No big deal," the principal replied. "Please, have a seat." She gestured towards the seats in front of her desk. Kaya and Toriel sat down in the seats and Mrs. Jones sat back down in hers. "Now, Kaya," she started off.

Oh god, this isn't going to end well for me, she thought but she managed to look up at her principal, her glowing white eyes appearing, although shaking, in her eye sockets.

"What got you so troubled back in the cafeteria?"

"Nothing," Kaya responded, moving her eyes down to the floor.

"Nothing? Then what-"

"Nothing that should've bothered me," she interrupted. "My brother just... found a new 'friend' and I thought he was going to replace me. I shouldn't have let it affect me so much," she added quietly.

"Oh, my child," Toriel said and hugged her. Kaya, along with all the other students, were used to Ms. Toriel, as she was preferred to be called instead of Mrs. Dreemurr, calling them her children even though they weren't. "There is nothing to be afraid of. Your brother may have found a new friend, but he could never replace his sister. He's still young, along with yourself, and he doesn't quite understand yet what is going on."

Kaya just leaned into Toriel's embrace, trying to view the disaster through another student's eyes. Silence filled the room for many minutes and she failed to know exactly how terrified the other students and teachers must have been, for she had never seen her magic being used before a mirror, where she could see it happen. Eventually Ms. Toriel whispered, "I know that isn't all that erupted this event," breaking the silence that had uneasily settled in the room.

"It... wasn't," she replied hesitantly, her voice raspy and uneven as though she had just finished crying.

"Will you share with me what helped cause it?" She hasn't separated from Ms. Toriel's embrace. Nor had Toriel decided to let go.

"Will anyone get in trouble if I do?"

"No, innocent one."

Kaya knew her grandmother was trying to help, but innocent was the complete opposite of how she felt and how she was at that moment. "It's the insults I hear as I walk during passing time, during lunch and recess, and advisory." She was responsible for that event. "I know I shouldn't let anything get under my skin, being the daughter of Sans and Frisk, but it all just piled up on me." No one else was.

Toriel hugged Kaya tighter as she let out a petty laugh and lifted her onto her lap. No laughs, not even subtle ones, could be felt or heard from Ms. Toriel. It's too serious, then, for laughs.

"Child, don't let their words deter you. Mrs. Jones, best to call for new clothes."

She was unable to see the principal nod her head, being covered by her grandmother's large but comfortable and warm arms and body, but knew Mrs. Jones was doing it when she picked up the phone.

"I'm in trouble, aren't I?" Kaya asked, although it seemed more like a statement rather than a question.

"That is up to Mrs. Jones' and your parents' decision," Toriel replied, having Kaya practically covered in shadows. "But I predict that you will not. Everyone makes mistakes, especially when they're young, and you have yet to know how to control your powers."

From what she heard from the principal, things were not going well. At least, not well for Mrs. Jones.

"Hello? Is this Frisk Dreemurr? We need to talk about your daughter." The worst possible thing to say to either of them, Kaya thought and continued to listen. "No, there were no fights...no, she's not hurt, at least, not as far as I can tell... n-no, no, no, I believe she's fine." Not helping to calm Mom down. You're suppose to know the right things to say to a student's parent or guardian during situations similar to this. ...Her voice getting desperate and... panicky? Fearful? If fearful, then why? Who would be scared of her, the 'savior of monsterkind'? "Please let me explain, Mrs. Dreemurr!" Mrs. Jones practically shouted. A knock sounded at the door. "Uh, y-yes Mrs. Dreemurr. Goodbye." The principal hung up and opened the door to find Sans standing right outside, leaning against the wall.