Chapter 26

Love, fun, and chatter filled the house as everyone enjoyed the holiday. Toby and Cookie ran around under people's feet, nibbling off the scraps of meat that were accidently dropped onto the floor.

"Kaya!"

Kaya turned away from her chat with Uncle Papyrus and Uncle Mettaton and saw her best friend coming towards her with an excited expression on her face.

"What'sup, Sky?" she asked, waving a quick goodbye to her uncles.

"I found an announcement on the school's website regarding the Thanksgiving dance tomorrow," she replied once reaching her. She pulled out her phone and showed her the announcement.

"Despite the law regarding human and monster segregation, the dance will go as planned and will welcome both human and monster students. We understand everyone's concerns but not having a dance will ruin a lot of plans for some of you lovers out there. So let's all just have a night of fun and dancing and show the world just how much humans and monsters can get along. To parents watching, do not worry. Your children will be well watched over by supervisors and will be personally driven home in case anything happens. Thank you all for watching and have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Hope to see you all at the dance in the gym!"

-

Mickeal Derwent

"Do you know what that means?!" Skyla asked excitedly.

"Maybe, but just in case why don't you tell me?" Kaya replied, the tip of her tail constantly twitching. Her mind was on other things, but she tried to focus on her friend instead of her crush. She also tried not to blush, although she could feel the slight heat enter her cheeks, which honestly just wanted to make her blush brighter because she found herself slightly blushing.

"You get to come to the dance! We both already have outfits picked out, and now we get, and have, a reason to wear them!"

"How do you know they will-"

"Didn't you hear? The dance is accepting both humans and monsters, despite the new stupid law that was put in. I'll go tell Cypress and Jenny." With that she took off, looking for the two lovers.

"At least that gave me the chance to avoid being asked about why I would be blushing," Kaya said under her breath. She sat down on the couch and pulled her hoodie over her head, trying not to let people see her face as she thought about her crush, her face bright with her purple blush. Her long hair also helped conceal it.

Luckily for her, the day ended quickly, and no one seemed to suspect anything, at least to her eye.

As they waved goodbye to everyone, with the exception of Jenny, Sarisk was ushered to his room, for reasons yet unknown to Kaya.

"So who's the lucky man on your mind?" her mother asked, making Kaya stop dead in her tracks as she headed toward the couch. Kind of literally as well, since she had changed into her skeletal form in an instant.

"Uh, w-what do you mean?" she replied almost instantly, blushing madly.

"heh," her father chuckled. "makes ya think how we caught on so fast when we spent forever tryin' to figure out if the other liked us back," he said, directing towards Frisk.

"Yes, but it took even longer because of all the genocide runs that interfered between then and now."

"we're fine now aren't we? now, who is he?" Sans asked, turning back to the question Kaya bet was burning in their minds.

"N-no one," she mumbled, still refusing to turn around.

Who knows if he would like a half-breed like me, she thought sadly.

"hey, stop those tears runnin' down your face," Sans said softly. She hadn't even noticed that she was crying, or that her parents had moved around to face her. "c'mon, you can tell us."

"I-It's, Mickeal Derwent, from-"

"You're crushin' on Mickeal!?" Cypress said, almost running down the stairs. His eye sockets betrayed nothing, so she wasn't sure if he was angry or not.

"...Yyyyeeeesss...?" She replied, almost like a question because she wasn't sure how he'd react. Cypress and Mickeal were buddies since they met at the beginning of middle school. She rubbed her arm, feeling the eyes and eye sockets upon her try to pry open her head to see what's inside.

Her brother pulled her into a hug, a big smile on his face and laughing. "You have no idea what he's been telling me all these years," he said and released her a moment later.

"What do you mean?" Kaya asked, turning back into her human form, although her cheeks still glowed a light purple.

What do you mean 'What do you mean?' Lyra shouted excitedly. How can you not fit two and two together?

"You'll understand tomorrow," he said quickly, although his face still beamed and he had the largest grin on his face.

"you two go get rested up for the dance tomorrow, then," Sans said, using his magic to lift them up into the air and onto the second floor. Although she could tell they had plenty of questions left, she was glad she didn't have to talk anymore about it, despite how giddy she acted once she closed her bedroom door.

She paced around the room many times, her cheeks glowing ever so brighter as she thought about how she would tell him.

And what about your father telling you to rest up for tomorrow? Lyra asked, stretched out on the bed, as if knowing that Kaya wasn't going to sleep anytime soon.

"Alright, arest me for that, but I can't help it," Kaya said out loud to her guardian. "I'm to tell him how I feel tomorrow! I don't even know-"

She was cut off when her phone started ringing. She quickly answered it, and heard the angry threats from her best friend for not telling her sooner.

"Well at least now you know instead of after. How did you find out anyways?"

"Jenny told me. OMG girl, I can't even express how jealous I am because I'm so happy for you. Excuse me," she added before a muffled squeal could be heard on the other end.

"Oh my God, she's fangirling already," Kaya whispered, finally feeling the effects of sleep wash down on her. "Sky, listen. I'm getting pretty tired now."

"Oh, okay," Skyla said with a giggle. "Should you come pick me up or should my parents?"

"I'm unsure yet," Kaya replied with a yawn. "Figure it out tomorrow. See ya." With that she hung up and flopped onto her bed, instantly falling into sleep, nothing particularly different happening other than believing the speed of the knives increased.