Chapter 15

Kaya woke up from her dream state, abruptly sitting upright. She looked to her right and saw her father standing over her, needle in his left hand and his right rubbing his forehead. She didn't realize she hit him when she jolted awake. "Did I wake too early?" she asked. What's Dad doing with my SOUL?

"yeah, but ya look better than before," Sans answered.

"Did you do anything yet? And... why summon my SOUL?" She tried to get her mind off of Dr. Gaster, knowing that he doesn't want Sans to know that she knows about him.

"not much," he said as he injected the needle into her shoulder. "an'... i, was jus' checkin' your HP."

She winced slightly from the pain. "What was in the needle?"

"somethin' to help. might as well get it in ya just in case."

"How do you know how to do this? Did-" Kaya cut herself off. She had almost spilled the secret that she knew about her grandfather.

Her father jerked his head up at her, a stern gaze on his face. "he visited ya, didn't he?" he said as more of a fact that a question.

Kaya twitched her tail and sighed slightly. "Yes," she admitted. "But I don't understand why he has to be a secret!" she argued before he could say anything. His eyes went dark and he hesitated, caught off guard. He looked down to the ground.

"Did he do anything bad when you were young?" Kaya whispered.

"'s none of your concern."

"It is because he's family," her voice got louder as she continued. "And if he's dangerous then why didn't he attack me when he had the chance, especially during my weakened state? If he's dangerous," she added in a hushed tone. "Then why not warn me of the possibility of meeting him? Surely that would've crossed your mind at some point? Why not send me at least some kind of warning just in case? You know how random they are."

Neither of them spoke for many minutes, with Kaya sitting on some sort of counter and Sans cleaning and putting away his tools. When her father did speak, it was just to get her to get up and to go out the door. She hadn't noticed the door, although it stuck out against the dark gray walls and floor, the wood being a light brown color. There was no light, so she was surprised her father had worked so well in the dark.

She exited out the door and stood in a dark gray hallway. She waited for Sans outside the door, unsure which way to go. When he came out, she followed behind him to the seemingly only lit room in that place.

When she appeared into the room and her eye had adjusted to the sudden brightness, her uncle rushing towards her was the first thing that came into view.

"YOUNG KAYA, DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!" he said, picking her up in his arms. "YOU GAVE US A HEART ATTACK WHEN YOU FELL ASLEEP AND SANS SENT ME OUT OF THE ROOM." At that, he was staring sternly at Sans, who seemed not to notice and sat down in one of the few intact chairs.

"But Uncle Papyrus, you and Dad don't have hearts."

"URK! ...I REGRET EVERYTHING!" he shouted as he realized what he said and released Kaya from his hug. She laughed, and his hug was replaced by scolds, reliefs, and more hugs from the others. She knew she was going to have to have a talk with her father, whether she liked it or not, so she wasn't all that thrilled.

"Can someone explain where we are before we leave?" Undyne asked. "This place looks so cool and creepy!"

"I-it brings b-back too many m-m-memories," Alphys replied.

"Aww, don't worry, Alph. Hmph! I'll protect ya!" Undyne had picked her wife up in her arms and Alphys blushed severely, still, apparently, not yet used to that. "But seriously, where are we? Sans? Surely you would know since you're the one who got us here?" Everyone looked over at Sans.

"BROTHER?" Papyrus asked while Frisk said, "Sans? Is something wrong?" from Kaya's side.

"nah," he responded. "jus' thinkin' about some things." With that he stood and started teleporting them back home. When only Kaya and her mom were left, he paused to talk. Well, was forced to pause and have a talk.

"Sans," Frisk said. "Tell me what's going on. I promise not to tell anyone."

"'s not that ya have to keep it secret," he replied. "an' it's not like i don't trust ya; you're m'wife after all. ya have a right to know."

"Dad told me not to tell anyone, and the only way he knew was because I accidently let it slip out and he guessed correctly by some miracle."

"Alright, but what is the secret you both are hiding from me? I've known and done more things than I wished to discuss, but I told all of it to you, Sans."

Her father sighed. "y-yeah," he said, rubbing the back of his skull, looking slightly uncomfortable and embarrassed, light blue highlighting his cheekbones. "an' i forgave ya, even after learning all of that. time to spill all i know about gaster, then."

"Dr. Gaster? You mean the royal scientist before Alphys with cracks in his skull who fell into the CORE and was erased from space and time?" her mom asked, leaving both Kaya and Sans speechless.

"how do you-" Sans started to say.

"How come you didn't tell me all that?!" Kaya said, turning towards her father and interrupting him.

"there wasn't exactly any time to tell you."

"Mom just summed him up in a sentences. One sentence. How could you not be able to tell me more about Dr. Gaster while you cleaned up?"

"do you think i could've let everything out all at once? do you think i wasn't stunned that he decided to come at that specific time?"

"Why keep him a secret? Is he dangerous?" her mom asked.

Sans didn't respond, so Kaya decided to change the question.

"You were working previously to save Grandpa Gaster, right? What made you stop?"

"i've been tryin' to, but things haven't been goin' as planned. i've yet to find a way to bring him back, an' nothin's workin'."

"So, you and Papy have a father? And you didn't want to mention him because... something happened? And yet you want to bring him back into the world despite that."

"yes. i want paps to remember his father, for his grandchildren know him and actually meet him in person. despite what he might've done in the past, people change. heh, i've certainly seen that truth."

The room got quiet, each of them wrapped in their own thoughts.

"We... need to get back to the others," Kaya said, breaking the silence. "Any longer and they'd think something's happened."

"yeah. we can discuss this more at home. think you can handle going there yourself?" her father asked her.

"I most likely could, but I don't know where we are."

"right. nevermind then."

With that Sans teleported them back home, where everyone else was waiting. Minus Chara.