Chapter 9

Not many things changed during the next ten years. Cypress and Jenny are officially a couple. Kaya and Cypress got a new younger brother, who was named Sarisk. He's completely human, which makes Kaya the oddball still, and most likely forever.

Once, when she and Cypress were young, their mother would tell them the story about how she saved the Underground and the monsters living there. About how she always came back after dying because her DETERMINATION wouldn't let her, with her powers to SAVE & LOAD and RESET. Sometimes, to discipline them, she'd tell them the story of the genocide route, where no monster was spared. And of the demon she met at the end. That story would give the children nightmares for days. After a while they thought it silly and made up, but when Kaya started having her usual nightmares about the different runs and possibilities, the stories and the demon became reality, and every night she was terrified to fall asleep and get one of the really bad ones.

For Kaya, not much has changed, but a lot has happened. There were...disputes between AUs, which involved her's, but they were eventually settled. She also got a skeletal tail from a mix up with a past genocide run. She's been learning how to deal with it, with help from Alphys, since she's the only one with a long enough tail to help out. The nightmares have yet to go away, yet she believes she was born with this curse. She's gotten a kitten named Cookie, of whom her father absolutely adores. Toby is fine with her; if anything, she would say they were becoming friends, chasing each other around the house.

Cookie tugged on her sleeve with her paws, rousing Kaya from her homework. She was done with it and was looking over it, but it seemed her kitten was reading her mind and stopped her before she could think too much on it. Kaya sighed and closed her laptop, picking Cookie up in her arms.

"Alright, I'll stop," she murmured and pet her kitten, getting a purr in response. She got off of her bed, the brown spotted kitten still in her arms, walked across the room to the door, and opened it.

Cypress was standing outside her door, his hand raised and ready to knock. Kaya looked up at her twin, who was a few inches taller than her. He was wearing his workout clothes, so he either just got back from training, or...

"No," she said before Cypress could even say anything.

"But I didn't-"

"You don't need to. I'm not going to train with you and Undyne."

"But why not? You always say you won't train, but you don't give a reason as to why you don't."

"I don't need to. I'm not going to train with you guys."

Cypress glared at her for a second, then shrugged it off. "Alright," he said. "looks like I can't change your mind. So they'll have to do it the hard way."

"Who's...wait!"

"SURPRISE ATTACK, YOUNG KAYA!" Papyrus said, dashing down the hall and ended up toppling them both over, knocking Cookie out of Kaya's arms.

"Paps!" she heard Undyne yell after him, appearing a moment later. "Warn me before you suddenly go charging down the hall by yourself."

Kaya lay dazed on the ground after the small moment where Uncle Papyrus had them tightly in his hug. She rubbed her head when he got up and she could sit up. Cookie had dashed back into her room, looking out from behind the door. Undyne helped soothe the frightened kitten, picking her up in her arms and rubbing her head.

"NOW, YOUNG KAYA. I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, WILL MAKE YOU COME TRAIN WITH US."

"And if I refuse? Huh?!" She said when her uncle picked her up and slung over over his shoulder. He laughed jokingly as they headed back down the hall.

"NYEH HEH HEH. I'VE GOT YOU TRAPPED IN MY GRASP. NOW YOU'RE GOING TO TRAIN WITH US."

Kaya sighed, letting her arms dangle. She brushed aside her hair and agreed reluctantly. She saw Undyne put Cookie back down, the kitten meowing indulgently in response, and follow them behind Cypress.

"Just so you know, I'm not happy with this" she said, poking her brother's forehead and sticking her purple tongue out.

"I figured you wouldn't," he responded.

They went out to the backyard and then started running, having Kaya hang on for dear life on uneven terrain and when they went over fences.

By the time they arrived at their destination, Kaya's spirit seemed to have left her; she slipped onto the ground when Papyrus forgot that he was carrying her.

"HMM? OH! I'M SO SORRY, HUMA - ER...KAYA. I KNOW THIS ISN'T THE TIME BUT," he said while helping her up off the ground once again. "WHAT EXACTLY SHOULD I CALL YOU? YOU'RE HUMAN, BUT YOU'RE ALSO MONSTER."

"I guess that is sort of a problem, huh?" She thought this over for several minutes; Undyne was behind watching Cypress's cardio progress.