Chapter 11

What seemed like seconds to her were many hours before she had woken up. It wasn't a normal, gradual wake up either. Once she had come back to consciousness, she gasped for air, flinging herself upright, only to fall back down on her bed by a gentle hand and a great wave of pain and dizziness.

She groaned and covered her eye sockets with her arm. She was slightly confused by this, although she was usually in her skeletal form when she suddenly woke up. She felt a cool bag being placed on her forehead, relieving some of the warmth that encompassed her body while at the same time making her colder.

She moved her arm a little to see both of her parents standing over her, worried expressions on their faces. She removed her arm from her eyes and tried to sit up again, one hand holding the ice pack in place. She heard them fret that she should lie back down and rest, but she shook their concerns away with a shake of her head and a simple, rasped "no". That worried her as well, how easily she managed to have her parents stop. Still, they both looked quite worried. Kaya watched her parents leave her room, either wanting a talk with each other or to inform the others.

What is going on with me? she wondered. How did I get this sickness so suddenly, quickly, and without reason? And how bad is it? I could never get them off my tail that easily before.

Frisk came back into the room, gently closing the door behind her.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Um, confused, extremely warm yet also extremely cold," Kaya answered. "Dizzy, skull's poundin'; what kind of sickness is this? I haven't got it before, have I?"

"No. Neither you nor Cypress have gotten this before."

"Do you or Dad know what's going on?"

"I do not have any recollection of what is going on. I don't believe I experienced either Papyrus or your father being sick during one of my runs, although it does seem to be very close to a human flu. Sans, however, seems to know more about this than he's letting on." Her mom gazed back toward the door, having taken a seat on the edge of the bed.

"Is, anything else going on?"

"No," she replied, looking back toward Kaya. "Nothing else is going on besides you being sick and everyone else being worried sick." As her mom finished her sentence, Toriel opened the door and came inside to stand beside the bed.

"Are you alright, child?" She asked.

"Besides being sick, I'm fine."

"That's good. Frisk, my child, may you help me prepare some soup? Papyrus is speaking with Sans, and you know how Undyne is with cooking."

"Sure Mom. I'll be right back, Kaya."

"Alright," Kaya yawned. "I won't be going anywhere," she added with bittersweet resentment.

The two adults left the room, and as if it was a cue, everyone else, coming in pairs, then came in: Undyne and Alphys, Asgore and Cypress, Asriel and Chara, Uncle Mettaton and Napstablook, and Sans and Uncle Papyrus.

Once Papyrus had gone out, Kaya's father came and sat beside her on the bed. By now she was starting to get a large headache, and she hoped once her mom and Toriel brought the soup she could rest. She was still holding the ice pack up to her forehead, occasionally switching hands so the other could get 'blood flowing through it' again. Her sickness also seemed to somehow mess with her forms, for she repeatedly switched between the two uncontrollably.

"do ya know what happens when a skeleton gets sick?" he asked after a moment, his glowing eyes nowhere to be seen in his eye sockets.

"No. How am I supposed to when I haven't gotten sick before?"

"that's exactly why."

"Why? Is something wrong with getting a flu?"

"when skeletons get sick, it's much worse than when any other human or monster gets sick."

"Annd your point is? I'm not exactly a skeleton."

Her father sighed. "'s nothin' i can explain properly, then. you'll figure it out." He rubbed his forehead, as though he was tired and frustrated with having to explain all this. "get some rest. they'll be here with the soup pretty soon." With that, Sans left the room and a few moments later Frisk and Toriel came in and handed her the soup they had made and some water.