Chapter 14

She figured she had gone to sleep, for the burden of her sickness had released her and she stood facing him. The new skeleton's skull was cracked with the two cracks coming or going from his eye sockets. He was taller than Uncle Papyrus and almost as tall as Toriel or Asgore. He didn't speak and Kaya twitched her tail, which seemed to draw his attention.

"How did that happen?" he asked, surprised.

"Yeah, sure," Kaya retorted. "Get to the strange things before the more important things, like asking about my tail before my name. Wonder how well that has gone for you."

His font is different, yet I completely understand it.

"I already knew everyone in the Underground. I did not need to ask their names. And I should know all about my sons. But you are new."

"Wait, are you saying that you're Dad's and Uncle Papyrus' father?"

"Yes."

"Why hasn't anyone told us about you? Surely I would know who you are if they did."

"Sans is still the same, then. Still hasn't told anyone about me or his nightmares."

"Pft, Dad doesn't get nightmares that often anymore. If anything it has moved on to me. And I know what they were about. Now, who are you, really, and why haven't I seen you in any of my nightmares? And why only point out Dad?"

"Alright then. I'm Dr. W. D. Gaster, you wouldn't have seen me in any of your nightmares because I refused to be seen, and I point him out because he's the only one who remembers me."

"Then why show yourself to me now?" Gaster had nothing to say to that. "What," she said as her magical eye ignited. "Are you here to kill me, thinking there is no way for me to live? If you are-"

"I have no intention of hurting you, my granddaughter. But, it would be interesting to see how well your training is coming along."

"Honestly, I doubt that I could survive, even if you had no intent to kill me." She summoned her SOUL and it glowed in the darkness, the shadows retreating to the deepest parts of the void. It had a sickly olive-green tint to the red and light blue colors. She showed her HP, surprised herself by how low it was:

2/10 HP

"I... your..."

"I know," Kaya replied and looked to her feet. "Heh, strange how I managed to live this long, huh?"

"Kind of, yes." Gaster replied. "Although Sans only has one HP, he was raised in a relatively safe environment. You have ten HP, but are raised in a more dangerous environment."

"You'll be waking up soon enough," Gaster said after a moment of silence.

"Will I see you again?" Kaya asked.

"Who knows. I'll see you in the waking world, but you most likely won't see me."

"But why not? You're family, and I don't see why we can't help to get you out of this void."

He smiled. "I thank you for your kind and hopeful words, but if Sans has yet to tell any of you, then I doubt he wants you to know."

"But why? Why keep our grandfather a secret? Why not let us help?"

"I do not know." The dark void seemed to have gotten darker. The image of Gaster faded into it. She was waking up. "May we hope to meet again in the future. And thank you."