Chapter 25

Kaya jolted awake from her nap, her eye opening as the van came to a stop. Her head rested on her mother's shoulder, with her mother's head resting on her own head. She carefully grabbed her phone and looked at the time.

It's almost midnight?! Kaya thought. She also had plenty of texts from her father asking where they were.

Oh, Lyra replied with a yawn, as though she herself had woken from her own nap. It is? Guess we both lost track of time.

Why aren't we home yet? I don't remember it taking this long when we went to the mall with the others.

Me neither. Are we even home?

The mayor turned his body to look at us.

"Oh, you're awake," he said.

"Shush!" Kaya quietly hissed, pointing toward Frisk, who was still sleeping.

"Sorry," he whispered back. He unbuckled his seatbelt and came to sit across from them. "I'm sorry to say, but they won't let us into the monster section. Even after me telling them I was the mayor and I was driving you two back home."

"So where are we?"

"In a parking lot nearby."

"You get yourself home. I'll take us home."

"Surely you should wait until you are more awake? Or until you are fully rested?"

Kaya sighed. "Alright. To settle your concerns, I'll text my dad to come get us. He's awfully worried about where we are. We're going to be so boned once he finds us," she added under her breath as she viewed her father's texts.

Kaya: Hey dad, can you come pick us up?

Sans immediately replied.

Sans: Where are you two!? It's almost midnight!

Kaya: The mayor offered us a ride home, of which Mom said yes to 'cause she said we needed time to take everything in. Unfortunately, there seem to be guards blocking the way into the monster section of town and they wouldn't let us by

Sans: Well why didn't you teleport home? And why wouldn't they let the ambassador or the mayor through?

Kaya: We both fell asleep. And the mayor doesn't know why they wouldn't let us pass. He even told them himself who we were but appearently they didn't budge

Sans: Alright, so where are you two?

Kaya: In a nearby parking lot

Sans: In the black van?

Kaya: Yeah. How'd you know?

Sans: Because it's the darkest place for anyone to fall asleep in and it's the only one I haven't checked yet

In an instant, Sans appeared in front of them, the blue light that had enveloped him when teleporting temporarily blinding Kaya.

"Too bright," she moaned quietly, her eye squinting until the light disappeared.

Her father chuckled. "what, am i too bright for ya?" he asked jokingly, his eyes going out for a second as he laughed at his own joke.

"Sans," Frisk moaned in her sleep. "Stop sleep punning for one night, please?"

The three of them burst out laughing, causing her to wake up from the noise. "Huh? Where are we? Are we home yet?"

"No Mom," Kaya answered. Her mother removed her head, but Kaya kept her's where it was, too tired to move it. "The people blocking the way won't let us by," she added with a yawn.