Chapter 17

With that, the environment around them dimmed and their SOULs appeared, Uncle Papyrus' a normal, gray monster SOUL, Kaya's a red and light blue fragmented SOUL. Although it was in two halves, her SOUL acted as a whole SOUL. The SOUL itself had decided to make it easier to interpret what her SOUL is, one half upright and red as a human SOUL, and the other upside-down and light blue as a monster SOUL.

They both started out easy, letting white and light blue bones fly at each other, each set faster than the last one. Uncle Papyrus may be adept at dodging, deflecting, and blocking her attacks, but Kaya easily teleported out of the way of his. He never said teleporting was against the rules, and he didn't now in the middle of their spar.

She knew she could tire her uncle easily, despite him being oh so very energetic. She simply teleported a little bit to the side of where his attacks would go, in order to save her energy, just enough not to get hit.

After a while, Papyrus called for a pause, both of them breathing hard and yet to have gotten hit by the other's attacks.

"WE'LL... HAVE A SHORT... BREAK, AND THEN IT'LL... BE ALL OUT ON BOTH SIDES!"

Kaya nodded, too exhausted to speak, and the environment lightened as their spar ended for the moment. They sat under one of the pines on the edge of the clearing, thinking about their next attacks.

"We don't have to keep sparring," she said after she had mostly gotten her breath back. "We could call it a fair match and go home."

"NO. THIS IS GOOD FOR BOTH OF US. NOW," Papyrus said, getting up. "ARE YOU READY TO CONTINUE?"

Kaya sighed. "Yeah." She stood up and went to the farthest part of the clearing, turning around to face her uncle. Instantly the fight began. The surroundings dimmed once again, and their SOULs appeared.

Papyrus went first, but the battle didn't even last long before Kaya was hit. She didn't mean to. To let her uncle win so easily.

During his attack, Kaya saw a large goat skull, which she knew as a Gaster Blaster, appear above him. She knew Papyrus couldn't summon Gaster Blasters, and her dad couldn't know they were out there. And if he did, she didn't see why he would interfere like that. But after a moment's glance at it, she knew it wasn't Sans' or her own gone rogue and was turning on her. Each one varies depending on the summoner, and she knew who this one's was because of the convenient two cracks like those Gaster has on his face.

Thinking that it was real, since it looked real instead appearing more like a hologram, she teleported to the side in a panic when it fired, the sound louder in their confined clearing, and ended up going too far, her SOUL getting hit by Papyrus' attack. She fell onto the ground, her HP lowered to 7.

"ARE YOU ALRIGHT, YOUNG KAYA?!" she heard her uncle shout, coming to her side.

"Uh, y-yeah," she replied, regretfully avoiding the truth. "Why are you asking?"

"YOU WENT DOWN INSTANTLY, ON THE FIRST TURN! AND YOU TELEPORTED IN A PANIC! DON'T THINK THAT I DON'T KNOW THESE THINGS; SANS IS MY BROTHER, SO I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A NORMAL TELEPORT AND A PANICKED ONE."

Kaya sighed. "Yeah. Guess I should tell you what really happened, huh?"

"YES. I DON'T WANT TO BE LEFT OUT ANY DETAILS."

"I saw a Gaster Blaster appear above you. I knew it couldn't be yours, since you can't, and it didn't look like Dad's or mine. I figured it was Grandpa Gaster's; there were the two distinguishing cracks in the skull."

"WHY WOULD HE ATTACK YOU NOW?" her uncle asked in confusion. "YOU DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG, AS FAR AS I KNOW. IF IT WAS THE SECRETS THEN HE WOULD'VE ATTACKED DURING THE CONVERSATION OR WHEN WE WERE TIRED OUT, NOT DURING OUR SECOND SPAR. AND WHY ATTACK YOU AFTER A NICE CHAT THE FIRST TIME YOU MET HIM? ... I'M GOING TO INFORM MY BROTHER," he added after a moment, pulling out his phone and started texting Sans.