Chapter 22

"So you're just gonna let them come to our house?" Kaya asked her father. "That easily?"

"yes, to avoid another of your speeches."

"The more you say it like that, the more disbeli- uh," she cut herself off, trying to think of a word the same as disbelieving.

"the more your convinced that i'm lyin' and think they're pretty bad," he said for her as they came out onto the path.

Sans wasn't lying. It really was past noon, the sun already on its decent toward the horizon. "but i can tell ya whole-heartedly that i mean it."

She smiled slightly and said, "Just go easy on them. And have the patience to explain the longest story ever to them." With that she and Skyla went quickly down the path, Kaya arriving much earlier than her red-headed friend.

"You need to lay off on whatever your taking," she said when they regrouped at the bottom. "Whatever it is seems to be affecting you badly."

"Nah," she replied. "One, I can't. And two, it actually seems like a good thing, coming from these nightmares."

"You're powered by nightmares?"

"Yes. A terrible, terrible curse to occur to me," she started off, with a fake, but fitting, act to go with it. "But being unaffected by changes in level is a strange benefit to come out of it," she added curiously.

"Is that what keeps you going each day? The nightmares?"

"Hell no," she sharply said. "Worst thing to look forward to at the end of the day. My family is what keeps me going."

"Are they that bad? The nightmares, I mean."

"If I explained to you, once again, how there are different timelines, then I might loose my skull thinking over the events that could happen in a neutral run, let alone having to explain the genocide run."

"Sorry, I had forgotten. You don't need to remind me if the runs again. But, what usually haunts you during your nightmares?"

"An unknown and relentless killer. Lately I've been dodging all of its attacks, but the strangest thing is that it never changes. Even if I'm far away from the strike zone, the late projectile that always comes after the giant barage goes for the same spot every single time. I'm starting to think I should move out of the entire area and watch it all from afar."

"To get our minds off of this for now, how about we go get your little brother's birthday gift?"

"Sure," Kaya agreed, grabbing Skyla's arm and teleporting them both to the toy store.

"What kinds of things does he like?" her friend asked as they entered.

"Normal young boy stuff, as far as I've seen," she answered.

They looked around at the toys, disagreeing on some things and agreeing on others. Eventually they settled on a couple small packages that had no lable. It seemed quite popular; those were the only two left. Although, they both didn't understand what was so interesting about opening a bag that didn't say or show what was inside. Or what could possibly be inside. She teleported them to her room once they had paid, getting a discount since Kaya was a Dreemurr, and more importantly, the human-monster ambassador's daughter.

"Alright," she said and pointed to the wall right of the door. "In my closet are a couple of bags from my birthday, and some wrapping paper. I can do the wrapping if you don't mind. We don't have that much time, after all."

"Sure," Skyla said, opening the closet and fumbling around for the bags for a bit while Kaya used her magic to wrap the packages when she had the wrapping paper.