Prologue

This chapter/book was made on November 10th, 2017. It has been rewritten since November 16th, 2020. I am now a more capable writer who wishes to rewrite their previous work. Some details might change, old fans will notice, so some comments may not make sense. 

You may notice the writing style change next chapter - I may have not gotten to that chapter yet, and am working on it currently. Sorry about that!

...

Donetello sighed; the air whistling through his teeth as he leaned back against his chair, stretching his aching body until each joint cracked within. His fingers loosely played with the ends of his bandanna as he looked through the security cameras he'd strategically placed throughout the city, finding nothing of interest. A few rough-looking teens graffiti-painting the walls, a stray cat, and at one point, a singular plastic bag wafting through the night's air. 

He was bored

The purple-clad turtle didn't get bored. He was always inspired! Why was he here, moping around doing nothing for once; that was Michelangelo's job for crying out loud! Donnie was the brainy one - the one with all the ideas; constantly working on gadgets and gizmos. Yet here he was - bored out of his too-large mind.  

Glancing out of his slightly-open door, he caught a glimpse of Raphael, who was sat on the back of the sofa, foot pushing what looked to be Mikey's shell. His eyes shifted down to the controller sat in Raph's hands. Donnie couldn't help but be jealous; his brother's never seemed to get bored playing with simple-minded toys - the only one Donatello was certain could acknowledge this and understand his reasoning would be Leonardo, but for quite some time now the leader has also joined his brothers in their video-game fanatics. He supposed it did make sense - Leo was allowing himself to let all his own frustrations out on something more action-packed. A turtle could only take so much meditation after all. 

The thing is, Leo didn't seem to be there, and Donnie had a half-brained idea to go seek him out. His big brother always had some form of entertainment he could give the braniac-ninja. Be it a book or just a simple conversation. They may not have things in common personality-wise - Leo being strong, quick-thinking, and calm, whereas Donnie was more logical, smart, yet an overall mess - but they got along fairly well. Maybe it was their slightly inverted nature that brought them close as brothers - Raphael and Michelangelo had always been the more outgoing of the group after all. It was why they were out there playing games, and he was in his lab, working. 

Well, again. Working. There wasn't much of that going on. 

"You know, maybe I should be a psychic." Came a voice from the shadows. Donnie jumped, reaching for his bō staff, his fingers gripping onto the handle and raising the weapon up, squeezing to let out the hidden-blade within, which pointed right at the intruder. A half-strangled laugh exploded from the shadow. "Don." The scientist relaxed at the realization that it was only his eldest brother, Leo. The shadowy figure moved into the light just as his staff went down, and he was met face to face with his shorter, grinning, leader. "I was going to say, before you rudely tried to slice me-" Donnie's embarrassment spiked, and he swore his face turned red. If Leo saw it, he didn't mention it, however, beginning to move deeper into his brother's messy lab instead. "-that I should be a psychic - I can tell what you're thinking. You need to relax a little, Donnie."

"That's the thing, Leo, I can't!" His voice raised, and Leo winced, but continued his walk nonetheless over to the 'guest chair' Donatello kept in his laboratory, sitting neatly into it, bringing his legs up to cross against each other as he leaned back. "I'm just so restless and bored, and, and-"

"And tired." Leonardo cut in, sighing. "I get it - I mean, it's like me when I just can't get into the.. the..." He waved his hands around, finally catching onto the word. "Vibe. Meditation, relatively speaking, takes a lot out of me. And sometimes, well, I end up like this." He gestured at his brother. "Bored." 

"Your bored and my bored are two separate things, Leonardo." 

That made his brother laugh. "So they are, Donnie. So you're looking for ideas? Why not create a punching bag Raph can't actually break this time? Or a pizza oven for Mikey?" 

"Firstly, I tried the punching bag idea; he broke it. Somehow." Leonardo raised a puzzled eyebrow, but the glare sent his way shut him up real fast. "Secondly, because as much as I love our baby brother, Leo, I don't think I can handle too much of his 'pizza skills'. Gifting him an oven would actually kill us all." 

Leo shrugged, getting up from the chair, muscles antsy from staying prone for too long. He began to absentmindedly walk through his brother's lab, eyeing the different things before coming across - oh. 

"Hey Don." He gestured over to the items in question; it was their blood and plasma bank, nestled among other objects that clustered around it. It was almost forgotten; they hadn't been injured in weeks now, so there had been no use for it since. "Why don't you do something with all this? I read somewhere blood contains DNA, right? Why not look into all that?"

Donnie's eyes went wide. How had he never thought to look at their DNA? After all these years? The thought of finding out just exactly how they worked, lived and breathed would be astonishing, especially something as as close up as DNA analyzing. There could be secrets that he, Doctor Donatello if you will, could be the first to uncover about a mutants DNA, and how it differed from a humans. "That's... Actually really helpful. Thanks, Leo!" 

"No problem, little bro." His deep-blue eyes held a calm that could will a storm down, and he let out a comforting smile. "Hopefully you won't get too deep into it though - I originally came in to say dinner would be ready soon. And don't worry - I supervised Mikey in the kitchen this time."

Don cracked a smile of his own. "Don't remind me of the toaster incident Leo - I can't trust either of you in there, you sneaky little devils." 

"Hey, it was one time!" 

"Yeah yeah." He wafted a hand at his brother, using the other to grip onto the blood storage handle. "Now shoo, let me start working on this." 

"Alright - see you later Donnie." 

The door closed with a click, and finally Donnie had something to do. His mind itched with the possibilities, and yet in his heart, he knew that he would uncover something that could potentially rock his whole family apart. 

He just didn't know what