Chapter two

This chapter was made on November 21st, 2017. It has been rewritten since November 17th, 2020. I am now a more capable writer who wishes to rewrite their previous work. Some details might change, old fans will notice, so some comments may not make sense.

You may notice the writing style change next chapter - I may have not gotten to that chapter yet, and am working on it currently. Sorry about that!

...

"No way." Raph breathed, fingers slipping on his weapons as he took in this information. Mikey was across the table from him, equally in the same amount of shock. Donatello refused to look at Leonardo, afraid of what he might find. Disgust? Perhaps. Anger? Definitely. Leo had always prided himself on being the oldest, and was always one to stick up for his 'younger brothers'. Turns out, it was just the other way around. The scientist didn't want to meet his disapproving gaze. "There must be a mistake." Raph decided, but Donatello knew deep down that his brother had always dreamed on being the oldest alongside being the strongest. This was secretly, a dream come true for him. "I mean look at Mikey - there's no way he isn't the youngest. Do you know how old exactly we all are?"

His hands fidgeted with his belt. "No. I couldn't find any specific age, but mutant DNA emits a signal with each few years of its life, and everyone else's DNA had emitted more of these than Leonardo's." His chocolate-brown eyes fought to look up - to meet Leo's gaze, to explain how sorry he was that he'd ruined their family from the inside rather than the outside. But his mouth just kept explaining. "Raphael's had emitted the most, then mine, then Mike's and then Leo's. I noted the DNA seemed to follow a certain pattern of emitting molecules, and Leonardo's isn't as far on as the rest of them. It's safe to assume you are much, much younger than us. You're just more mature overall."

"Probably Splinter's trainin'." Raph snorted. His gaze strongly met Don's 'It's okay. He'll get over it.' his eyes were saying, fighting back on the panic that was promptly seizing Donnie's brain. "So I assume that makes me leader then? Finally. Sorry, Leo-"

The chairs moved, and Donnie finally shot his eyes up to find his brother standing up from the table, walking over to where his katana lay, sheathed on their weapons board. He picked them up, slinging the garment over his shoulder, securing it to his belt before turning back. His eyes were cold, but Don could just make out the signs of his brother about to cry. His heart clenched. "I'm going for a run. I'll be back soon." and he was gone; out the lair like a bullet, the door slamming as he ran.

Mikey let out a nervous giggle. "So I... have a baby brother now? Dudes, you know what this means?" He was clearly trying to pull the subject away from them almost seeing Leonardo of all turtles breaking down. "I get to act like a big brother like the rest of you - ooh, we'll watch movies, play videogames - Leo's gonna love it!"

"Maybe give Fearless a little time to settle in, Mike." Raphael stood, face contorted into a mixture of guilt and excitement. Donnie was already standing, wanting to go after his brother, but Raphael held his arm out, his gaze strong. "No, Don. Like I said, let him chill out. He'll come back, then we can all talk this out."

"When were you the calm one?" Mikey asked, not meaning to sound sarcastic or rude, but he clearly noticed the way Raph flinched.

"Because you two numb-skulls are useless in that department." He ground out, taking a Sai out of his belt to twirl around aimlessly. "I'll be in my room."

"But Raphie-" Mikey tugged on his arm, getting up from the table too, a hand placed strategically on his wrist, holding him from twirling his Sai again. "You have to help prepare me for the role! How am I supposed to be a big brother if I have never been one?"

"Maybe later, Mike." He smiled, relaxing a little, the tenseness leaving his shoulders as he pulled his hand out from under Mikey's - "Besides, it won't be much different - just do what I do."

"You mean act like a hothead? Got it!"

"Oh shut up." He smushed his hand into his younger brother's face, eyes regaining some of his usual glow. "And Donnie?"

The scientist flinched, looking at his brother guiltily. "I should've left the unknown, unknown."

"Leo will come round, D." Mikey said quietly, moving over to his older brother and looping his arms around his body, hugging him close. Raphael moved over quietly, sharing in on the same hug to comfort their smartest brother. "Just you wait, Donnie."

"Yeah." Raph's gruff voice said ever so softly. "It'll be fine."