Chapter seven

This chapter was made on December 17th, 2017. It has been rewritten since November 18th, 2020. I am now a more capable writer who wishes to rewrite their previous work. Some details might change, old fans will notice, so some comments may not make sense.

You may notice the writing style change next chapter - I may have not gotten to that chapter yet, and am working on it currently. Sorry about that!

Notes: This chapter became long as hell! I added a ton more detail and expression into the characters, and gave Donnie a little 'moment'. Just a heads up - I don't usually do OCs, and I dislike writing them in stories, so all these characters are just background characters. The only humans who matter are April and Casey!

...

The car journey may have been worse in the long-run than the fight itself.

Raphael was constantly trying to batter the side of the vehicle with his shell, ramming himself again and again into the metal, to no avail. The oldest kept slipping on each turn and twist of the road, falling back down onto his shell before clasping the soft hay underneath him and continuing until he had no fight left in him. Leonardo was curled up in-between Michelangelo's legs, his head on his brother's chest, hands tucked safely between them both to keep them from being squashed under Raphael's escape attempts. Mikey was awake now, gently running a soft hand against his brother's shell in an attempt to calm both himself and the blue-banded turtle.

Leonardo had, at first, been just as eager as Raphael to try to escape once they were loaded up, however he had been injected with something, which Donnie had labelled 'most likely a mild-sedative to help with the pain'. He wasn't loopy of the sorts, but he lay silently in the orange-clad turtle's grasp, body lax and leaning heavily on him. Donatello himself had been staring out the tiny window they had, watching as car by car drove past them, unaware of what lay within. He had already tried to break the glass, but it was built practically bulletproof, and the only end result was him scratching his shell and bruising his knuckles. So he'd resorted to looking out instead; the sun was shining, glimmering over the passing countryside, unlike nothing Donnie had ever seen before. It was peaceful, even with the sound of honking horns - though, that one was a comfort to him personally. It reminded him of the city; 'we'll get back soon.' Leo had promised him while they had been stuck in that inferno. 'We can do it.'

Donatello risked a look over at his brothers. Raphael had retreated over to his younger siblings, guiding Mikey's head to rest on his shoulder, wrapping an arm around Leonardo's limp form to steady him against them both, the turtle in blue still wrapped tightly in Mikey's own arms. "Don." The oldest's eyes met his, piercing green ever calming to the smarter turtle. "Just come sit."

His eyes fluttered over to Leo, looking over him - his hands, his shell- "I can't."

"Hamato Donatello." Oh no; his full name. Don looked down awkwardly, shuffling on his feet, reaching out a hand to grip onto the singular bar at the back of the truck to steady himself. "If you don't get your sorry ass here right now I'll hit you so hard you'll break that door for us."

"Coming." He muttered, walking over and slumping himself next to Mikey, leaning slightly to press his head to his sleeping brother's shoulder. Leonardo was so close to him, he breath ghosting over his face softly as he slept-off the drugs pumping through his system. "I didn't mean to hurt him."

"You didn't."

"I didn't mean to hurt our family."

"You didn't - god, Don, don't you get what 'you didn't' means?" He couldn't see Raph from where he was, but he could feel the anger bubbling. He winced. "I assure you, for the love of Shredder, you didn't do shit. Stop complaining about yourself. We need you to focus, alright?"