22

Julia

I was sucking in air sharply and exhaling it with the same force as my hands trembled making its way to my wet face. Justin is gone...My husband has just left me...

I was left to cope with what had happened moments ago. My tears blurred my eyes as my cries escaped my lips. My heart...my heart hurts so so much. I could not chase Justin, I could not beg him any longer to stay. He wouldn't listen to me after what I had confessed to him. "Ohh," I cried. My eyes were tight as I tried to fight my tears threatening to spill. I held myself, rocking back and forth on the ground I was sitting on, woefully.

What aches my heart the most is that he's left me to take care of his growing child without his help. He did not believe me when I told him I am with a child. I shook my head coming to terms that I am now doomed. What will the village say when they discover my growing belly and my husband's absence?

I would be called all kinds of lowly names and spit on like a cheap woman. I could not believe this was happening to me. I could not believe anything.

I felt alone, scared and heartbroken.

Justin

Betrayed. No, that would be an understatement , but it was the only word I could use to describe how I felt. Julia, how could you?

I balled my fists tight enough to draw blood. Hot was my temper and I seethed even thinking about that woman. She had deceived and caused me to drift away from my purpose. My kingdom! Women and children. I've kept them waiting for so long.

Had they lost hope?

The night was dark but I knew my way around the village well enough to continue my walk to the trading center.
I had promised kafele that the next trading day, I'd be ready. Unfortunately, I'd be arriving by myself and not with my wife.

As much as I was angry with Julia, I still felt uncertain about leaving her alone here. Then again as I thought, I had a duty to fulfill. A duty that she bewitched me into not attending. Initially I wanted to bring my her but that was not an option anymore.

I hoped that Kafele would be here by dawn. In the past when I had sent my men to Libya to trade, they'd leave Egypt mid day to arrive at dawn here in Libya.

Arriving at the trading center, I saw that the shops and stands were empty. It would be some time before kafele and Ottah arrive. I had this knowledge because Julia and I have gone trading very early in the morning before.

I laid against a barrel and attempted to drift to sleep, waiting for morning to come. I couldn't, so I held my face in my hands, memories of tonight knocking my head to and fro. Julia, how could you do this to me?

***

"My king," I heard a masculine voice say. I also felt a tap on my shoulder. I tiredly opened my eyes and was greeted by the shielded face of a man. The stranger lifted the shield and I was glad to see it was just Kafele. There was another person standing next to him and the person lifted their shield and I saw it was Ottah.

"Kafele..."
"My lord, a true man of his word." He responded, helping me up from the ground.
"If I may ask, will you be bringing your wife?" Ottah asked once I was up.

"She's not my wife." I said firmly. I could see Kafele and Ottah both tense up at my response. "Yes, my lord." Ottah replied.

"We plan to leave at sun down after trading.Kafele placed a crate on the table which contained all the Egyptian trading items. Ottah lifted a heavy bag from the floor and placed it on the table. He untied the knot and metal armor laid across the surface.

"You should put these on, my lord. If a villager saw you here speaking with us, you'd be in trouble." He said as Kafele nodded his head in agreement.

Julia

"Fatima, please be awake." I choked out a sob as I stood there shaking in front of her home. It was almost dawn and I hadn't shut my eyes once since Justin left me. I couldn't sleep by myself so I went to Fatima's.

I heard ruffling followed by seeing Fatima step outside. "Julia, Shouldn't you be sleeping?Where is your husband?" She whispered. Her hands were placed on her hips and it was obvious I'd disturbed her from much needed sleep.

I shook my head and began crying harder. "He's gone."
"Hm? I don't understand."
"He left me." I sobbed.

Fatima widened her eyes and looked around before taking my arm and bringing me inside. "I did what you said was the right thing to do.
I told him about the magic and he left me. He didn't even believe me when I told him I'm pregnant." I explained. I just felt like screaming.

"Julia-"
"Fatima I'm speaking the truth. He just left-"
"Let's go to him-" she started but my heart sank and I cut her short.
"No, he warned me not to chase him. He doesn't want to see my face and I feel so ashamed. You were right Fatima, I shouldn't have done what I did. Now what am I to do?
I'm pregnant and have no husband."

"He's still your husband."
"Not if he's gone."

Fatima rubbed his eyes. "Where did he say he's going?"
I stayed quiet. "Julia?" She asked again.
"He's going back home." I answered her.

Fatima released a deep sigh.
"I'm not sure if I can stay in the village much longer. The embarrassment would surely kill me." I cried.

"Where would you go?" Fatima cupped my face between her hands.
"I can't go to Egypt. I can't, especially without him. I need to come clean to you , Fatima." I sniffed.

Fatima knitted her eyebrows in confusion.
"Justin isn't an ordinary man. He's not a man from the next town, he's the king of Egypt. I was so persistent with the magic because I didn't want him to go back home."

"This can't be true." Fatima shook her head.
"It's true, I swear." I said again.

"He couldn't have gone far."

_______

Sorry for the late update, been so busy working and preparing for college