Chapter Two

"Look, look, look! She's coming, she's coming bro!" Connor taps my shoulder furiously as he signals the rest of the group to pay attention. "Act cool, act cool."

I'm barely able to keep a phony smirk plastered to my face as I watch her walk past alone; a stoic expression on her face, as she pretends none of us exist. She is nearly able to make into the cafeteria unbothered, but then Connor bursts out of our circle, practically throwing a couple freshmen that were in her way to the side.

"Are you suicidal man?" He screams as he tries to flatten their, and his, bodies against the opposite row of lockers. "If you don't move out of the way the Killer will get you."

Everyone starts laughing at his dramatics, their laughter rising as he starts fake sobbing in fear once she's in reaching distance of him. But she never even bats an eyelash, her neck perfectly straight as she slides past us and through the double doors of the cafeteria.

Connor chuckles as he walks back over to us, his hand already up to receive the multiple high fives that are sure to come. I have no choice but to slap his palm, before I dig my phone out of my pocket and begin to walk into the cafeteria.

"We were going to go off campus for lunch," Connor says to me before I can walk in.

I shake my head. "I'm already going to be late to practice today because I have detention, I don't want to be late for the rest of the week too."

Connor shrugs. "Just get Coach to talk to Mrs. Baez and get her to call it off."

"What the fuck is this? High School Musical?" I laugh as I punch his shoulder and start walking into the cafeteria again. "I'm just going to grab something from inside."

Connor groans loudly as he reluctantly follows me into the cafeteria, and subsequently the rest of the group follows. I walk to the front of the lunch line, swooping in and out as I snatch the few items I want before smiling at the girls that are about to check out. Of course they let me in front of them, grateful that I am even giving them the time of day for the moment.

I toss $10 at the cashier before I walk away, not caring enough to wait for my change. I make my way over to the circular table in the middle back of the room, suspiciously empty since every other table in the cafeteria is filled to capacity. I sit on top of the table, like always, shoving a slice of pizza into my mouth as I look around the room, quietly observing everyone. My silence doesn't last long, as my table fills up quickly with the various people that occupy my social group.

I bump fists and high five the other guys from the lacrosse team that slowly arrive at the table, and give half-hearted hugs to the cheerleaders that crowd around as well. Connor sits near my knee, straddling the bench so one of the girls whose name I can never remember sits between his legs.

"Why do you insist on sitting on the table?" Someone asks from behind me. I look over my shoulder to see the Alan, the captain of the basketball team, groans as he sits down.

"So you can get a perfect view of my ass," I laugh as I hover above the table and twerk slightly.

The girls at the table giggle flirtatiously while the guys all roll their eyes, ignoring my antics as they try to continue on with their conversations.

"Aww look," Mickey points out. "Killer is all alone."

I look to my left to see that she is surprisingly sitting a few tables away all by herself, the ragtag group of misfits she identifies with mysteriously absent for once. The left side of my mouth quirks up as I gaze at her intently

"Aww, the poor thing," the girl in Connor's lap coos.

"Yeah," I agree, my eyes narrowing. "Even monsters need company."