Chapter Forty-eight

Someone slams my locker closed as I yank my arm out of the way last minute, barely preventing my right hand from getting smashed into the door. I furiously look over to see Alan seething next to me, his hand still pressed against the rusted metal.

"Please tell me it's a fucking joke!" Alan barks out, eliciting a few curious looks from the people walking through the hallway to their third periods. "Please tell me everyone is just talking out of their ass and you didn't do what I've been warning you not to do for the past fucking month!"

I groan silently, wondering how it has already gotten all of school that I'm dating Kenedi. But now that I think about it, this would explain the weird looks I've been getting all morning. I hid in the computer lab during my first period because I knew there was no way I could avoid Connor, and I took a different route to my second so I wouldn't see Alan, but it doesn't look like that worked. I run my hand through my hair as I give Alan a lopsided smile.

"And a 'good morning' to you too, buddy!" I pat him on the shoulder warmly before I turn and start walking down the hallway toward my history class.

"Why, Jude?" Alan stomps along beside me, apparently not done with the conversation. "Why couldn't you just let it go?"

"This isn't a fucking Disney movie, Alan," I laugh as I jog down the stairs and down a side hallway, pretending I don't notice the multiple sets of eyes following my every move. "And if you break into song, I'll have no choice but to punch you."

Damn just a couple months ago I would have been swooning over all of this attention. I would have done, and did do, anything to stay in the front of everyone's minds and the tip of everyone's tongues. I wonder what changed.

"I know this isn't a fucking Disney movie! But do you know that??" Alan hisses as he follows me out of the side door toward the portables that are in front of the parking lot, even though his class is still in the main building. "Because with the way you're acting I think you expect blue birds to start singing, trolls to appear in the Caf, and a fucking fairy godmother to take you to the damn ball!"

I scrunch up my face, trying to match up the analogy to the correct movie. "I think you're getting your Disney movies mixed up."

"Fuck Disney and its movies!" Alan explodes, grabbing my arm and pulling me to a stop before in the courtyard before I can walk up the ramp to the portables. "Why are you so set on this girl?"

I look from his grip on my arm to his furious face. "Why do you care? If I get my heart broken, I get my heart broken! I'll deal with it if it happens."

He shakes his head, slowly letting go of my arm as he takes a deep breath. "I don't understand why you had to choose her."

I look at him closely, for the first time ever I think. His face is tinged red, his eyes narrowed into slits, his smile cracked. How many things have I not noticed?

"I don't think you ever will."

I stare at him for a second longer before I turn and start walking up the ramp to the portables. On the other end of the hallway, leaning against the wall outside my history class, I spot a petite figure. Her straightened hair blows around her, as she furiously taps away on her phone. This time I don't hold back my groan as I slow my walk.

Can I catch a fucking break, please?

Asha looks up at my loud groan her eyes narrowing into slits as she keeps typing away on her phone. "What have you done to her?"

Her question gathers the attention of literally every person loitering in the hallway. I don't respond, closing the distance between us and reaching to grab her arm so I can lead her somewhere more private.

"Don't fucking touch me, you toxic piece of trash!" She hisses, jerking her arm away from me while she stops typing for the first time since I saw her. She willingly walks a few feet away with me to the most unoccupied corner or the hallway.

"I don't know what the hell you said, but there is no fucking way that Kenedi would willingly agree to be your gir—" She chokes on the word, clearing her throat as she glares up at me. "Why did you choose her to do all of your little games, huh? Why couldn't you have picked one of those blonde haired sluts who follows you around all day?"

I look down at her curiously, trying to figure out why she's yelling at me instead of Kenedi. I mean, shouldn't she be trying to figure out why she said yes, not why I asked her? And actually, Kenedi fucking forced me to ask the question! If it wasn't for her, I would be miserably single right now!

I smile warmly at the little bombshell, hoping I can get her to see some of the charm that Kenedi clearly picked up on. "I'm guessing our girl didn't take it too kindly when you asked her all of this?"

"She's not your fucking girl!" Asha hisses, her glare capable of leveling a small city. "I know that Ken is a big girl who can take care of herself, but I know what you're capable of Jude! Don't drag her down with you."

"You know what, I'm getting sick and tired of people assuming the worst of me." I clench my teeth as I look away from her, watching the number of students in the hallway shrinking. "I'm not going to do anything to hurt Ke—"

"Oh I know you're not," she rudely interrupts, looking back down at her phone as she starts typing again. "And you don't want to find out what will happen if you fucking do. So it's best for all of us if you just stop this shit now."

I scoff at that, unsurprised that this is the conclusion she came to. Isn't she supposed to be Kenedi's best friend? Isn't she supposed to want what's actually best for her, and what will make her happy? Why is everyone being so selfish?

"Asha, I'm sure you think you've got me all figured out, but I really like her." I can't look at her, so I stare at the door to my history class instead. "I know you don't believe me, but I don't care if you do. I want to be with her. And as long as she'll have me, that's where I'll be."

I finally gain the courage to peek down at her, but she is already staring openly at me. Her chocolate eyes are wide, and her fingers pause on the phone screen as she evaluates me quietly. The tardy bell rings then, signaling that both of us are late for our classes. But neither of us moves, both of us staring intently at the other.

A few seconds later she turns and walks away from me, tucking her phone into her pocket as she leaves without another word. I watch her go, confused as to what this means. But as she disappears down the ramp leading back to the main building I shake the confusion out of my head, preparing myself for history.

Man, It's too early for this shit.

A/N Okay so I thought I posted this chapter, but then I tried to find it and I couldn't so I thought I was going crazy or maybe its that I haven't slept in 24 hours which is crazy because I could sleep for 24 hours and not even bat an eye (get it? I wouldn't bat an eye because I was asleep.....I swear I'm funny y'all) but either way I posted again! So if this ends up being a double post let me know!

But anyways, what do you think? How do you compare the reactions from Shills best friend, Alan, and Kenedi's best friend, Asha? Do you think Asha is going to start plotting to break them up, or do you think Shills just might have said the right thing to sway her heart?

Let me know what y'all think!

Much Love,

Naomi