Chapter Twenty-eight

I can't believe she actually showed up.

Killer stands awkwardly in the middle of my room, her eyes travelling back and forth in that weirdly observant manner as she waits for me to say something. I sit on my bed, waiting for her to accept my invitation to sit down and get comfortable, too. Killer continues to ignore me, a slight frown pulling on her face as she looks around the room again.

"What's wrong?" My question sounds flat, so I clear my throat trying to give some life to my voice. "Why are you frowning?"

"Why weren't you in class today?" She asks, not answering my question.

"I didn't feel like going." The energy that was left in my body suddenly disappears and I sink back up on the pillows behind me.

My eyes drift closed naturally as I take a few deep breaths, gathering my emotions and forcing them deep down inside so I don't have to deal with them. But when I open my eyes again she is standing right in front of me, her hand resting lightly on the comforter as she leans in, her dark eyes evaluating me intensely.

"That's not good, Shills," she scolds, her pupils dancing back and forth between my eyes as she continues to stare at me. "Graduation is in 4 months. You don't want to fail your classes last minute and have colleges rescind your acceptances."

"There is no way in hell my number one would take back my acceptance." I laugh, my hand subtly creeping down the comforter towards her as I ease her worries. "My lacrosse scholarship paired with the donations my family has made to their endowment guarantees me a spot next year."

My fingers brush over her smooth nails before they intertwine with her fingers. "I could stop attending school right now and they'd still take me."

She scoffs disgustedly, jerking her hand away as she takes a step backward.

I scowl at her movement and the distaste that's clear on her face. "What's your problem?"

"My problem," she bites back, her eyes on fire, "is that you and all of those assholes you hang out with have had the entire world just given to you. You haven't had to work for shit! No wonder you're all so fucking spoiled."

"Your mom is a lawyer and your dad is a fucking doctor!" I laugh at her, rolling my eyes. "They must make a shit ton of money each year. So you aren't in any kind of position to be saying I'm the privileged one."

"You have no idea what the fuck I—"

Killer literally bites her tongue in an effort to stop herself from finishing that thought. Instead of responding she turns on her heal and starts to walk out of my room, much like she did the first day she came here. But I don't let her leave, jumping out of bed and pulling her to me before she can even take two steps.

"No don't leave," I beg. I hug her tightly to me, gripping the warm curves of her waist with my hands as I mold my body against hers.

"Hell no," She huffs, trying to wedge her hands between us so she can push against my chest. "You don't just get to say that disrespectful ass shit and then hug on me like nothing's wrong."

My hold on her tightens, as she keeps squirming almost succeeding in escaping.

"Hayes!" I bark out.

She freezes, her entire body going rigid as she looks up and stairs at me with wide eyes. I can't help but smile down at her, my eyes drifting lower to her plump lips that are only a few inches from mine.

Maybe this is my chance.

My lips gently press against hers, our breaths intermingling as I hold the light touch, unsure of how far I should go. She doesn't deepen the embrace, but she doesn't pull away either, our lips tickling each other as they remain loosely locked together. A minute later she pulls back slightly, a centimeter of space between us.

"You know," her lips brush against mine with each word, "that would have been way more romantic if you actually knew my first name."

Dammit I knew there was something I forgot to find out.

A/N I know, I know. It's a really short chapter. But I was super close to not posting anything at all......so you should be happy I coughed this up. I know it was pretty filler, except for that smooch at the end, huh? What'd you think? Were you expecting fireworks? Were you surprised that it happened at all? Well, there will be plenty more where that came from.

Much Love,

Naomi