Chapter Fifty-two

Oh, she should be worried. She should be really fucking worried.

I pace frantically around my room, trying to figure out how the hell I could be so fucking stupid. How the fuck could I forget about Senior Ball?

I mean, it's not like I forgot about it. I just didn't think about it. I mean, I didn't think it applied to us. I was so busy just trying to make sure that everything just stayed good between us that I almost fucking ruined our entire fucking relationship!

I ignore Chi frantically running in circles around me as I pull my phone out of my pocket for the millionth time in the last 30 minutes to check the screen. Why hasn't Asha texted me yet? Was she just fucking around? Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have trusted her! I pull up Safari on my phone and type in "local florists" into the search engine. I click on the first website I see, scrolling through the different arrangements.

"What kind of flowers do you think Kenedi likes, Chi?" I ask helplessly. "Roses are good, right? All girls like roses, don't they? But what if she's allergic? What if she doesn't even like flowers? What if she laughs in my face and then breaks up with me and then—"

My phone vibrates twice quickly, a text message phone an unsaved number appearing in the notification bar.

"Oh, thank fuck!" I groan as I plop down onto my bed as I open up the message frantically scanning the lines of text.

"Ken likes sour candies not chocolate, unless you get her Milky Ways or Twix. She's never really been big on flowers, so I can't help you there. Just get her whatever looks cute and expensive. Her favorite color is purple, but if you're going to get her something she'll be wearing buy it in black yellow or gold. Good luck and try not to fuck this up too much."

I read the message again before I groan even louder than before. "How is that supposed to fucking help me??!!"

Chi barks again as I scoop her onto my chest, her little tongue tickling my cheek. "What do you think I should get Momma? Huh, Chi?"

She barks again, and I wish that I could understand her answer and get some idea of how to ask this girl to Ball. I mean, I've seen some of the other extravagant promposals or whatever the fuck they're called around campus, but Kenedi doesn't seem like the type of girl that would want that. But, what if she really does want that, and she just doesn't want to tell anyone?

How the fuck am I supposed to know any of this shit??

I pick my phone back up and start looking through the flowers again. All of this shit looks the fucking same! I gently push Chi off of my chest and wander out of my room, hoping to find Nattie downstairs in the kitchen so that she can give me some advice. As I wander down the stairs I spot my mom in the foyer by the door, a few suitcases at her feet as she alternates from looking down at her phone to the hallway that leads to my parent's bedroom. I try to silently creep across to the hallway that'll lead to the kitchen, but my mom spots me when I'm two steps away from freedom.

"Oh Jude!" She exclaims, a sweetness in her voice I'm not expecting. "I almost didn't see you there! How are you doing?"

"I'm good, Mom." Since I'm no longer going to be able to sneak into the kitchen I walk further into the foyer. "How are you?"

"I'm good, honey!" Her bright smile forces me to smile in return, although I can't take my eyes off of the excess luggage in between us. "How is school going? Are you getting good grades? Having fun with your friends?"

I laugh in surprise, contemplating whether I should actually answer her questions or just give her the standard answers as usual. Before I even get the chance to respond the steady clicking of my dad's shoes coming into the foyer draws our attention, a suitcase in each of his hands. My mom completely forgets about all of the questions she asks me as she turns to address my dad.