Chapter Twenty-one

This place is fucking ridiculous.

I stomp down the tastefully decorated hallway and out into the spacious loft, already pulling out my phone to call someone to come pick me up as I dodge around the tufted couches and glass coffee tables. I don't know his address, but I'm pretty sure I can direct someone here without it.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait!" Shills calls out, the sound of running feet coming up behind me.

I don't stop to wait for him, jogging down the mahogany stairs and heading straight for the elegant front door. Before I even get halfway across the foyer I feel a hand on my arm spin me around while another arm winds around my waist and pulls me against Shills chest. I suck in a breath, my eyes growing as round as saucers as I stare directly into his eyes. Damn, when we're like this I notice that he's actually kind of short, only about two inches height difference between my eyes and his.

"Can you just wait a second?" He whispers, his breath blowing against my nose.

My mouth nearly drops open from the proximity. It takes all of my effort to keep my face blank as I stare at him expectantly.

"I—it's just—" He stops and takes a deep breath, looking away as he tries to collect his thoughts. "No one talks to me like that, okay? I wasn't expecting it."

"Yeah I figured," I finally breathe, my lips barely opening to force out the words. "I can tell by your big house and the way you treat everyone around you. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a literal silver spoon in your mouth growing up."

He frowns, unconsciously leaning in closer. "Just because I live a certain lifestyle doesn't mean I'm a bad person."

"I never said you were." I reach up to brush a lock of hair off of his forehead but I stop myself at the last second. "But just cuz you aren't bad, doesn't mean you're good."

He doesn't respond at first, his mouth turning down as he looks deeply into my eyes. "How can I change that? How can I be a good enough person for y—"

The word gets caught in his mouth as he suddenly releases me from our embrace, turning away from me as he starts to walk to the door. He clears his throat, his back to me as shakes his head. "You should be getting back home now."

I frown as I watch him walk away, getting closer and closer to the door.

"Finish your question."

He stops at my command, although he doesn't turn to look at me. I continue on, knowing that I have his full attention. "Finish your question. What were you going to say?"

He finally looks over his shoulder, the normally confident look on his face replaced with one significantly more vulnerable. He still doesn't finish the question, his eyebrows pinching together as he just stares at me.

"You want to know how you could be good enough?" I don't finish the question for him, although we both know what he was going to say. It feels as if I'm hyper aware of everything. My blood tingles as it races through my veins. My skin itches as my sweatshirt and leggings rub against him. My hair tickles the back of my neck as it dangles heavily. Every part of my body is tensed as I start to walk toward him. He turns to face me when I stop in front of him, only a couple inches of space between us.

"You just need to stop trying to prove to everyone that you are. You don't have to pretend to be someone you're not. From what I've seen over the past couple days, and not counting the past few years I've known you, the real you isn't so bad."

He looks down at me, a small smile pulling at his lips. "Really?"

"Of course not." I laugh to ease the mood, taking in the hope and defenselessness in his eyes. "Do you think I would be here if you were acting like a total asshole?"

He laughs too although the sound is not the boisterous, almost cocky, one I am used to. I step around him as I walk up to the door, opening it so that we can go outside. "Now come on. It's my dad's night to cook dinner so we're probably having his famous chili."

He stumbles to follow me, almost tripping over the threshold as he shuts the door behind him and starts walking the shiny BMW parked haphazardly in the driveway.

"Your dad's chili is famous?" He asks as he unlocks the car and slides into the driver's seat.

I'm already slamming the passenger side door closed and reaching to click on my seatbelt. I roll my eyes at his question leaning back in the seat as he backs out of the driveway.

"Yeah, something like that," I giggle.

A/N Sorry the chapter is so short! I just finished posting the last two chapters for my other book, Loves Me Not, on Wattpad and I am a near emotional wreck. It's like I just buried my first born child and I'm all alone, except I have two other children I still need to raise all by myself.

But now that I'm done with that dramatic over explanation...

How do you like the book so far? How do you like the relationship between Killer and Jude? Are you feeling the slow burn, or were you expecting more of a spark, since this is supposed to be cliche? Well don't worry, the cliches are just getting started!

Leave comments, and like the chapters!

Much Love,

Naomi