Chapter Fifty-nine

"I'm not helping that table anymore." Allison slams an empty tray onto the metal counter, a scowl on her face before she crosses her arms over her chest.

"What table?" I ask, as I wait for Rob to finish the order for my customers.

"You know exactly what table I'm talking about." She hisses, her freckled nose crinkling as she peeks through the cut-out window that displays the dining area of the restaurant. "The one with those demons you call classmates."

I roll my eyes as I peek through the window to the table she's referring to. "They don't look that bad today."

"Then you take care of them!" Allison pushes her hair out of her face as she starts to walk to the rear exit off the kitchen. "I'm taking a smoke break."

"But you don't even smoke!" I whine, watching her throw open the back door.

"Maybe I'll start!" She quips as she disappears out the door.

I sigh heavily as I look to Rob for help. He shrugs as he flips over the patties on the grill before dropping some more French fries into the deep fryer. "If she won't help them someone has to."

I can't contain my groan as I pick up my notepad and head out to the table. I paste the brightest smile I can muster onto my face as I stare at the painting on the wall behind them and imagine I'm in my happy place. "Hey y'all thanks for coming to Rob's Barbecue! I see you've already got started with your drinks! Think you're ready to order now?"

My question is met with dead silence. I keep my gaze posted on the picture, not wanting to look around the table and take in the expressions on their faces.

"Well, well, well," I can't stop my eyes from flickering down to take in the sneer on Alan's face before I wrench my gaze back to the picture. "We were wondering when you were going to come out of hiding."

"I recommend the brisket sandwich!" I pretend I don't hear the anger in his voice as I continue on with my script. "Or even the loaded Tri-tip fries!"

Silence echoes again.

I finally look around the table to see what's even going on with them. Every single one of them is glaring at me, an unexpected hatred burning in their eyes. I freeze. Their unhidden animosity makes me want to follow Allison out the back door for a smoke break of my own.

"Okay well I'll just go ahead and give y'all a few more minutes to decide!" I close my notebook with a thump and spin on my heel to head back to the kitchen.

As I'm turning to walk away a foot sweeps out and trips me, sending me crashing to the floor. The sudden snickering that echoes from the table makes me realize that this was intentional, and I can't stop my teeth from grinding together as I push my fluffy hair out of my face.

"Woah you should be more careful Killer!" Alan smirks as the girl tucks her leg back under the table. "You wouldn't want to hurt yourself."

"What the hell is your problem?" I hiss, careful to keep my voice down so the table next to me doesn't hear.

Alan leans across the table to get closer to me, his eyes sparkling with a dangerous quality as he growls at me, "you're my fucking problem bitch."

I freeze again, my mouth dropping open as I remain crouched on the floor. "I don't know who the fuck you think you're talking to, but I know damn sure it ain't me."

Alan laughs in my face but doesn't say anything as Connor picks up the cup of Coke in front of him. Connor's arm extends out past the table as he upends it onto the floor, the brown liquid spilling all over my pants and apron.