Chapter Six

Perfect, she's getting off work. Now all I have to do is wait outside for her to finish her shift and talk to her. She'll swoon over how sweet I'm being, fall in love with me, and boom! I win the bet.

I nod goodbye to the guys, barely even acknowledging the girls whose names I still can't remember. I ignore the not so murmured whispers between the different groups about how weird I acted while we were eating. They should know exactly why I was acting like that, besides the fact that they really were acting like assholes.

I shake my head as I lean back against the scratched metal of this ugly mom-van at the back of the lot. I keep my eyes on the front entrance, secretly hoping there isn't an employee exit and parking lot that will sweep her away from me before I can do anything.

Not after long a curvy figure exits the restaurant, keeping her head down as she walks quickly through the parking lot. My gaze darts left and right, trying to guess which car is hers and if I'll have enough time to get there before she jumps in and drives off, but she gets closer and closer to me, not stopping. Finally, this beat-up van is the only vehicle left and I thank my lucky stars that now she has to approach me.

I cross my arms over my puffed out chest and bend one knee to brace my foot on the tire. But this position feels too uncomfortable, so I drop my foot and my arms, tucking my hands into my pocket. No, no, no. I widen my stance and tilt up my chin, hoping that will make my jaw more defined. No, no. I don't have the time change positions again before she's a few yards away and I have to say something, because she still doesn't see me.

I should say something. I should call out her name!

But as she gets even closer my mind draws a blank. What's her name again? I'm so used to calling her killer I forgot. Shit, shit, shit. What's her name?

Finally, she looks up, her eyes locking on mine as she skids to a stop. Well damn, I have to say something now.

"Hey Killer," I smile, already regretting the nickname.

The darkness of the parking lot makes it nearly indeterminable to figure out her facial expression. But maybe that's because the darkness of the night is already spreading across her features.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, stepping backwards a couple steps.

My nose scrunches up, "I just wanted to apologize about the way I've been acting."

"Apology received," she grunts, fiddling with something in her hand. "Now back away from my car please.

My nose scrunches up, trying to figure out what's wrong. "Listen, I really just want to start over, you know? I feel like things between us are just unnecessarily complicated, and we could really be friends if we try."

She takes another step backward, the rim of light from one of the street lamps finally shining on her face. The pout is even more prominent than normal, both corners of her mouth pulled down so far her chin is dimpled. Something shines from her closed fist and I see keys sticking out from in between her fingers, a makeshift weapon ready to be used.

"Are you delusional? You and the assholes you associate with have made my life a living hell for the last month!" She hisses. "And now you just want to be friends? What changed, huh?"

I don't know what to say, my mine mouth opening slightly but nothing comes out.

"Oh yeah, maybe it was about that conversation you had with your buddies in the cafeteria." She shakes her head as disdain colors her eyes. "You guys really don't know the definition of whispering, do you?"