Chapter Thirty-one

Of course mom and dad both have to work late tonight. I try not to pout as I flit around the kitchen, throwing things into the pan on the stove as I frantically prepare a last minute dinner. But the frantic screaming coming from the family room as Bear chases Bug around gives me a headache, making my already short patience grow even shorter. I look up from the stove in time to see Jazzy drift down the hallway toward the front door, her hips swinging dramatically from side to side as her t-shirt dress switches with it.

"Where are you going?" I bark out at her, trying to make sure I don't burn the ground beef I'm browning in the pan. "And what are you wearing? I can see your buttcheeks!"

"The basketball game, duh." She rolls her eyes but keeps walking. "And no you can't, I'm wearing spandex underneath."

I roll my eyes at her too, considering picking up the tub of butter on the counter next to me and chucking it at her sarcastic, spandex-clad ass. "So you're just going to leave me here alone with all of these demons?"

"I can't stay home, it's the last home game of the year!" She whines, throwing open the door before turning to smile at me, the light from the porch forming a halo around her perfectly shaped hair. "And besides, you've been taking care of all of us practically by yourself since mom went back to work a few years ago. I'm sure you can handle one more night, sis."

I can't even get another word in before she wiggles her fingers in my direction and slams the door behind her. My anger grows as I start to feel overwhelmed.

Just take a breath girl. You got this. You just got to last until the twins go to bed. Only three more hours. What can go wrong in three hours?

Now that I've calmed down slightly I yell at the twins to settle down and watch what's on the tv so I can finish preparing dinner. It takes me another 40 minutes, but I'm finally dishing out enough servings for the twins, Kahlil, his friend, and myself to eat dinner. Just as I am about to call everyone down the doorbell rings.

"I'll get it!" Bug yells, jumping up from the couch and running to the door.

"Rowan if you open that door you'll go to bed right now!" I hiss, darting out of the kitchen and down the hall in any attempt to catch up with her so she doesn't let a stranger into the house.

She stops with her fingers wrapped around the door handle, a challenging smile on her face as she considers how serious I am. Before she can rebel and fling it open anyway I scoop her up and hold her on my hip, as I look through the glass panes on the side of the door to see who it is.

"Oh you've got to be fucking kidding me," I groan to myself once I spot the man awkwardly standing there.

"Ooooooo you said a potty word!!!!" Bug tattles, giggling as she squirms in my hold. "I'm gonna tell Momma!"

I ignore her threat as I put her down. I push her toward the kitchen and tell her to let Kahlil know that dinner is ready. Bear grabs his food and goes into dining room to eat, while Bug runs up the stairs to get Kahlil. Once they've disappeared into the room off the kitchen I open the door, a scowl on my face as I glare at Shills.

"What're you doing here?" I huff, my patience running extremely thin after everything that has happened over the past few days. "I thought you would have figure out by now you can't just show up to my house like this!"

"I needed to talk to you," Shills tries to explain, shifting from one foot to the other. "I think I know what's going on now and I know how to fix it."

I take a deep breath, trying to stretch my waning patience a little bit longer until I can get him off of my porch. "I don't have time for this right now, Shills. Just leave."