Chapter Sixteen

He won't stop staring at me. I keep my eyes glued to the TV, although he turned it off 10 minutes ago to emphasize the awkward silence that already exists between us. I clear my throat for the third time in as many minutes, trying to think of another way to start a conversation.

"So, you like football?" I ask, finally looking over at him.

His hard glare forces me to look away immediately. "No."

I look down and to the left, checking the watch on my wrist as I wonder how long it takes Killer to get ready.

"Do you have somewhere to be?" He asks, stringing together a complete sentence for the first time since I sat down.

"No, sir," I reply.

"Didn't your parents teach you to look adults in the eye?" He asks, his voice even colder than before.

"Yes, sir," I answer, looking up at him again. His eyes are just as cold, almost repelling me immediately.

He leans forward, bracing his hands on his knees as he bridges the gap between us. "What are your intentions with my daughter?"

"I don't have any intentions, sir." I bark out.

His face darkens even more. "Are you saying my daughter isn't worth having any intentions over?"

My eyes widen in surprise as I sputter out my answer. "Not at all, sir."

His eyes trace over my face intently, as if he is memorizing every pore and freckle there. "I know 50 different ways to kill you with this tv remote."

"That's because you're a doctor, dad." Killer laughs as she walks down the stairs. "And the fact you used to study MMA doesn't hurt."

I leap off the couch and race to Killer's side, practically cowering behind her as she stands in the doorway. She looks at me confusingly before she waves bye to her dad and starts to head to the door.

"Um, excuse me?" Mr. Hayes asks as he stands up, puffing out his chest to make him seem even bigger than he is, but to me he already looks like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson had a baby with The Incredible fucking Hulk. "Where do you think you're going?"

I swear I see my life flash before my eyes as he takes a step toward me.

"Daddy, you're the one who told me I was letting my whole day pass me by!" She blows him a kiss as she starts to push me toward the door. "Consider my day seized, Pops."

The door slams closed as she pulls me all the way down the front path and out of hearing distance of the house before we come to a stop.

"Thanks for that." She ties a bow in the bright yellow sweatshirt she is wearing, which contrasts beautifully with her dark brown skin.

"Yeah I wasn't doing anything today so I figure we could hang out," I shrug, surprised she is so accepting of this.

"I was being sarcastic, Shills." She barks out a laugh, looking at me curiously as she fluffs up her hair. "What are you talking about?"

I look at her in confusion, not sure what to say.

"Listen," she begins, turning her head to the side as she stares at me, "I don't know what's going on with you, but I can't afford to play your little games. You can fuck around with me all you want at school, I don't really give a shit. But if you show up to my house unannounced like this again I'll show you why they call me Killer."

I clench and unclench my fist, trying to dig my nails into my palm but there's nothing to dig. "But last night you said—"

"I know what I said last night." She huffs, crossing her arms over the block lettering on her sweatshirt. "But typically people call or text first, instead of just randomly showing up to my house in the middle of the goddamn day!"

She shakes her head as she keeps her eyes trained on me. I squirm uncomfortably, wishing I could disappear from her piercing gaze. I wonder what she sees in me.

I try to think of someway to turn the conversation back in my favor, so I try to charm her, hoping that I can use some of the tactics that worked so well with other girls in the past.

I tilt my chin up as I smile at her, flashing the teeth my parents paid so much for. But her face doesn't change, not even a twitch of a smile curving her lips as she continues to stare at me. I sigh, dropping the smile as I look down again.

"I guess, I'll just go, then." I whisper, kicking at the grass by my feet.

I hear her sigh heavily as I start to walk away, trying to figure out what the hell I thought would happen. I must still be drunk or something, because looking back on it, it was pretty stupid for me to just show up to the house of some girl who obviously only hates my fucking guts.

"Jude." She calls out one I reach my car. I turn around to look at her, watching as she rubs her hands up and down the jet-black fabric of the leggings she's wearing. She sighs again, tugging one of the curly of her hair out of place as she watches me carefully.

"If you buy me lunch you can tell me what's bothering you."

I frown, my lips pinching into a thin line as I stare at her. "Nothing is bothering me."

"Is that a no then?" She asks, swaying backwards as if she is going to head back inside.

I smile again, this time some genuine feelinginfused into the action as I unlock the car. "Get in."