Chapter Thirty-three

"Order up!" Rob yell's through the small window, despite the fact that I leaning against the counter right behind him.

"Rob, I'm right here," I tell him, reaching behind me to grab one of the large trays off of the counter.

"Of course you are," He huffs as walks over to the oversized refrigerator to refill some of the contained on the prep line that are running.

I load up the tray with food and slowly walk out through the swinging doors to my waiting table. I chat idly with them as I place down all of the plates in front of the correct people. I leave them with a smile as I go to check in with my only other table, before going behind the front counter to chill with Allison as we wait for someone to need us.

"Slow day huh?" She says, rewiping the main counter she has already run a rag over nine times.

"Tell me about it." I groan, leaning against the back wall by cut out window. "How am I supposed to make any tips when no one comes in to eat?"

"That's what I'm saying," Allison huffs as she throws the rag on the clean counter. "How am I supposed to buy these textbooks for my classes when I can barely afford to put gas in my car to get to my damn classes?"

My heart pangs at her whines, knowing that I'm going to be facing the same struggle in college next year. "How are your classes going?"

"They're hard, girl." She pushes a lock of her dyed blonde hair behind her ear as she shakes her round. "And I'm still only taking my general education classes. Once my core classes come into play my GPA is going to be fu—"

"Is one of you 'Killer Hayes'?" A kid interrupts.

We both look up, startled from our conversation to see that someone else came into the restaurant while we were talking. A boy stands on the other side of the counter. He looks younger than me, but maybe a couple years older than my little brother. I wonder if he goes to Alpine High School with me. Maybe he's a freshman like Jazzy.

"I'm sorry what'd you say?" Allison says, genuine confusion in her voice as she looks at him and then me.

"Is one of you Killer Hay—" He repeats, shifting back and forth as he holds something awkwardly behind his back.

"Don't call me that," I interrupt with a hiss. "Did someone send you here? Is that why you're calling me that?"

His eyes open wide as he stares at me in surprise, struggling to hold the thing behind his back.. "No. Uh, um, I—uh—was told to give this to you."

He steps backward before he pulls an actual puppy out  from behind his back. Like, a whole dog has been hiding behind his back for the last three minutes. I gasp in shock as I reach over the counter and scoop the puppy from his hands. She barks excitedly, her little tongue poking out as she laps at my hand that is wrapped gently around her little midsection.

Oh my God she's too cute! Her black, white and grey fur is softer than it looks, but it's her blue eyes that make me hold her close to me, kissing the top of her head gently as she barks again. Those eyes almost remind me of—

"What the hell is going on?" Allison asks, but I can't even give her a seconds' thought as I fawn over the most adorable creation I have ever seen in my entire goddamn life.

"Oh my gosh!" I squeal, holding the puppy above my head. "She's so cute what's her name where did you get her how old is s—"

"I don't know lady I'm just here to deliver the dog." He shrugs, still shifting from foot to foot. "But there is this letter I was supposed to give you along with the dog."