Chapter 8

• Dedicated to Jimmy Dodson

I ran into an alley and sat against the wall hugging my knees to my chest as I cried. All of a sudden, I heard footsteps coming towards me and instantly became quiet. I held my breath and closed my eyes as the footsteps came closer.They stopped in front of me. I opened my eyes and looked up. I saw Gaara looking at me sadly.

"Are you ok Ai?"

I shook my head and wiped at the tears. Gaara sat down next to me and pulled me into a hug. I cried into his chest as he rubbed my back soothingly. I cried until i couldnt cry anymore. I felt so spent. Gaara picked me up and carried me back to the apartment. He unlocked the door with me still in his arms and walked to the bedroom placing me on the bed. He walked around to the other side, and sat down as he pulled off his shoes and his shirt before laying next to me, pulling me to his chest. I kept fighting off sleep.

"Ai. sleep. it will make you feel better."

He kissed my forehead and i fell asleep smiling.

~Gaara's POV~

I wanted to kill that man when he said that to Ai. Instead I put him in the care of the Jonin and ran after Ai. I want to make it so she will never be sad again. I love her so much. I want to be with her for the rest of my life. I may as well get some sleep I thought. I closed my eyes and fell asleep. I woke up to the sound of someone whimpering. I opened my eyes and saw Ai thrashing around in her sleep. I gently shook her.

"Ai. baby wake up."

Ai's eyes shot open and she looks around panicking.

"It's ok baby. its just me."

Ai looked at me with tears in her eyes.

"Wh-What did you call me?"

"I called you baby. Is that ok?"

Ai nodded with a smile on her face.

"I like the way that sounds," she says as she blushes.

I chuckle and kiss her forehead. She blushes more and hides her face in my chest. All of a sudden, the door was kicked in and I wrapped sand around us as Ai clutched to my shirt and I held her close.