Chapter Thirteen: Threads

My heart thuds loudly as I stare at my phone screen. My eyes skim the words on the screen over and over and over again, and I swallow my nerves down.

9:26PM

Friday, October 30

My gaze lowers to the notification on my screen.

Lucas (lucasb414) accept your follow request. Now you can see their photos and videos.

I need to do this. It's time to put the past behind me one and for all. I met Zane in the beginning of September and it's almost November. Tomorrow I'm going Trick or Treating with him and his little sister. I'm dressing up at Belle, he's dressing up as Beast, and Alice is dressing up a Lumiere. I told Alice I would dress up as Lumiere but she insisted I dress up as Belle because my name is Rosabelle and I have Rose and Belle in my name.

I'm so close with Zane, but he doesn't know about my problems. Every time it comes up, I shut him down.

Plus, I've been avoiding my Dad for a month because I'm mad he told part of my secret.

My phone screen has timed out, so it lights up again.

(Lucasb414): Boo?

I feel my hands trembling. I can't do this alone.

You know what? Yes I can. I'm a strong independent woman!

I unlock my phone and open Instagram, going straight to the notification from Lucas.

Without a word, I text him my phone number.

Less than a minute later, my phone starts ringing.

I stare at the phone call and scowl, decking his call. I open my phone app and hit the i and hit send message.

Me: I'm not talking on the phone.

(414) 476-1942: Okay, what's up? I know you didn't follow me on Instagram after all of this time for no reason.

I stare at the keyboard.

"Tank!" I whistle. I hear him grunt from my bedroom and the sound of his paws as he jumps off the bed. He walks into the living room and hops up onto the couch next to me. I don't want to be alone right now.

Me: I need something from you.

(414) 476-1942: what is it?

Tired of looking at his number, I add him to my contacts.

Me: Closure. You owe me that much after everything you put me through.

Dickface: agreed. How do you want to do this?

I stare at the screen for a minute.

Me: in person, nowhere near where I live because frankly, I don't want you within a 10,000 mile radius of my family.