Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Audra's POV

For the next day, Leo and I spent all of our time together making love, cooking, and just enjoying each other's company. I never felt anything as like this in a relationship. It's great! After us taking a personal day, we're both going back to work at the hospital.

Stopping briefly at my house to put on my sky blue scrubs, I look in the mirror and a strong feeling of uneasiness eases over me. I've always been one to have an accurate intuition, but I ignored as I put some mascara and winged eyeliner on. Probably just something eventful at the hospital.

As we drove to the hospital, my heart pounded in my chest. THUD THUD THUD. I felt queasy and all I could do is give into the urge to squeeze Leo's hand. His dark eyes seem to brim with an unreadable emotion as he looks at me with concern.

"What's wrong baby?" His words are like a soft blanket around a wiry exterior.

"Yeah, just feeling funny." With a firm squeeze and a soft stroke on my hand, we approach the hospital, my nerves feel like they're being pumped full of acid. I notice a huge car in the staff parking. I haven't seen it before so it caught my attention. Probably Dr. Zi. He's the most vain man I've ever met. Being a plastic surgeon suits him!

Clocking in and starting our shift, my nerves ease a bit. We get a announcement over the intercom for Leo and I to report to the receptionist desk on the first floor.

"Leo did you request anything?" My eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"No, did you?" I shake my head. Eh, maybe the directors want to see us.

We reach the reception desk and no one is there. Looking around, there's no one even around us. What the hell?

At that very moment, a deafening blast goes off. Through the window Leo an I see his car being incinerated into a heap of ash and metal.

"Leo! What's going on? I'm afraid!" We start to run to the employee break room only to be ambushed with a shower of gunfire. My blood runs cold. Leo and I duck behind tables and chairs only for me to bump into one the mysterious gunmen in black.

"Well, well, well aren't a young a pretty thing?" He lifts me up and over his shoulder. I scream for my life desperately trying to get Leo's attention. But instead I see his body crumpled over a chair with blood running down his chest. My heart shatters and I finally manage to get away from the gunman.

I make my way to Leo and I don't see the gunner anywhere. I don't give a damn anyway because my priority is Leo.

"Baby don't leave me. Leo you've gotta wake up!" All is silent around us but that's not surprising since this is the private hall that's in the process of being renovated. The sound-proof walls allow everywhere else in the hospital to still function without unnecessary noise.

His chest is leaking blood but he's still clinging into life. I remove my scrub top and apply pressure to his wound. I've gotta save him.

"HELP! SOMEBODY HELP ME! A DOCTOR HAS BEEN SHOT AND HE'S DYING! HELP!" All I can do is sit and scream for help. I feel so powerless and I can't help it!

"Baby...." I hear Leo's faint voice. It's chills me to my soul.

"Yes? Baby you're going to be fine." I don't believe it, but it's better than nothing. Tears flow from my eyes as I feel my heart breaking even more.

"No I won't. But while I have my last few breaths, I need to tell you something. I love you. I love you so much Audra. I don't know how or why this happened, but I'm glad I took that bullet for you..." Tears start to form in his eyes. " You're the most incredible woman that I've ever met and I was going to marry you, I really was. All of my estate is left to you also. But for my last wishes, find out who did this and make them pay baby. When I'm gone live your life. Don't turn away from love because of me darling. I'll always be in your heart and you'll always be in mine. Never will I leave you Audra."