Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Audra's POV

I woke up the next morning with a severe case of morning sickness. Now I see what the fuss over pregnancy is. Drinking some tea with ginger and eating fresh fruit, I prepare to meet with the insurance adjuster to get information for Leo's parents and also to meet with the funeral director. I miss Leo so much...

Wiping the tears from my eyes, I grab my turquoise handbag that matches my maxi dress and get ready to leave. But when I open my door, Dani is getting ready to knock. She eyes me intensely.

"How are you feeling? You don't look so good." Her eyebrows furrow with confusion and I feel self-conscious.

"Uh I'm ok I guess, just about to meet with the insurance and funeral people for Leo." I feel a wave of nausea washing over me and I sprint to the bathroom vomiting violently. I hear Dani run to me her eyes wide and concerned.

"Are you sick?" You have no idea! Might as well tell her now.

"Morning sickness..." 5,4,3,2...

"OH MY GOODNESS! YOU'RE PREGNANT?!?!" I don't think I've ever heard her this loud. Which says a lot. Still over the toilet bowl, I nod my head.

"When did you find out?"

I let out a weak, "Last night." Her expression I concern turns to one of...joy?

"I'm gonna be an auntie! Yes! Yes! I hope it's a girl! Then I'll spoil it! And give her boy advice and makeup and stuff!!! Alex will be happy too!" Geez, she's excited! But I'm glad she's taking it well. It makes me feel quite a but better emotionally.

"It's 9 and I have to meet with the insurance people at 9:30. Do you wanna go with me?" Dani has yet to stop smiling.

"Yes! Then we'll meet up with Alex and go see Danté."

"Alright, let me brush my teeth again then we'll go." I hurry up and brush then we head out.

When we arrive at the insurance office I give the short balding man Leo's information. While he's processing the files I decide it's a good time to call Leo's parents.

"Hello?" Leo's father Vincent says into the phone. Leo sounded just like him.

"Hey it's Audra..." I can't hold back the tears as I try to tell him about his son's death and his unborn child.

"Audra what's wrong? Hang on, I'll put Mary on the phone."

His wife Mary picks up the phone.

"What's wrong dear? Is it Leo?" I muster all of the composure I have left and say the horrible truth.

"Leo was shot and killed at the hospital yesterday trying to save me and I'm pregnant." After I said it, it felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

"My baby..." I heard her sniffle and Vincent gasp at the news. But she still continues to speak.

"Audra honey, we'll be there tomorrow afternoon okay? I'm a strong believer that life doesn't end after death. Yes, I'm mourning the death of my son, but we still have you and the baby."

"Okay, call me later."

"We will honey. Take care of my little bambino or bambina."

The insurance adjuster comes back to me and eyes me hungrily. Fuck off man. His name tag says "Manny". Alright then.

"Manny can we talk now?" He's still eyeing my hips.

"Huh? Oh yeah we can talk." He leads the way for Dani and I. We sit in his office and we get down business.

"Are you Audra Jones?" I nod my head.

"Are you aware you've been named a beneficiary for Mr. Del Zotto's life policy?" What? Me?

"No! That can't be!" He review the papers once again.

"Ms. Jones, you are a beneficiary. He recently came in here to change it. I've talked to him personally. He loved you." My heart swells and my hands instinctively go to my stomach.

"Okay. I don't want to know anything until his parents come back. They should be here in a couple of days."

"I understand. Just give us a call. Instead of meeting with the funeral director, will you give him a call? The information should be in his file."

"I will do that." Dani has been unusually quiet this whole time. We get up and start to leave when I have a question.

"Hey Manny, if Leo had a baby on the way, how would that affect the policy?"

"He left an affidavit saying that if he had children, 50% of his parents assets would go to the child or children. Why?" I'm not ready to tell others.

"Just curious, have a good day!" He waves and Dani calls Alex and he said he'd meet us at the a burger joint (funny, they have American food) and we'll have lunch.

We meet up with Alex and after talking about the insurance meeting, Dani and I look at each other and smile. We're gonna tell him about the pregnancy!

"What's going on? Why are you two smiling?"

"I'M PREGNANT!" His eyes look like they're going to pop out of his head.

"By Leo?" I nod and his face becomes solemn.

"I'm sad that he can't raise his kids. But you have us! And Danté loves kids..." He winks and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah but not another man's baby. I'd let him babysit or something." Dani cracks up laughing and sure enough, we all join in. I'm glad that I have the support I need. But that burger is getting to me. I run to the bathroom and empty my stomach contents once again. I hate this.

We drive to the hospital and check in at the reception desk. As I walk down towards Danté's room, my heart is in my throat. I don't know why I'm so nervous but I am. I knock on the door to let him know someone's coming in since he can't see me.

"Hey Danté"

"Audra?" His deep voice sends shivers down my spine. Wait what?

"Yeah it's me, Dani and Alex are outside waiting to come in. Can they?"

"Of course!" At that moment, Dani busts through the door with Alex right behind her. Her shrill voice pierce through the air.

"DANTÉ HOW ARE YOU?" So much for his needed peace and quiet.

"Hey Dani, I'm doing better actually." After about 20 minutes of light and casual conversation, Danté asks to speak with me in private.

Sitting on the side of his bed, he feels around for my hand and holds it.

"Audra I've missed you." My breath is caught in my lungs. The room is spinning.

"I missed you too." He lets out a breath that I didn't know he was holding in. His arm rub against mine and he moves closer towards me. What's he doing? His minty breath is right in front of my face.

"Can I kiss you?" I don't even know what to say. Shit! I'm pregnant with another man's baby.

"Danté, I'm preg-" he silences my words with a kiss. It's desperate, needy, all consuming almost as if he clings to me with every fiber of his being.

The room is on fire, I cling to him and savor the taste of his lips, the plump softness of his lips. But I must pull away.

"I need you Audra..." His voice is deep and husky with desire.

"Listen to me: I'm pregnant with Leo's child."

And sure enough, I'm met with a deafening silence...

*Hey guys! How are you enjoying the story? Do you think Danté will still want Audra?

Let me know what you think! I appreciate the feedback and support!

Vote/Fan/Comment/Follow/Message/Share😘