Family Matters

Greg was waiting outside my apartment with a coffee in one hand and a bagel in the other. I stretched my exhausted hands out for both. "Why am I doing this?"

Greg ruffled my hair before leading me down the street to the light rail. "Because as much as you hate to admit it, you love your father and know that it will mean a lot to him if you are at his... What is this again?"

"It is his work-iversary. He has worked at the company for... 32 years," I groaned just thinking of all the snide comments he would make about his retirement and me getting a real job. "He didn't even celebrate his 50th two months ago, but this needs cake."

Greg laughed and linked our arms together. "Everything needs cake. Anytime your dad makes you mad, just shove massive amounts of cake into your mouth."

"Or his face." I stopped as we reached the station and tried to drink my coffee before the November chill cooled it off too much. 

"You could do that too, though it would be a sad waste of perfectly good cake." He nudged me until I cracked a smile. "See, it's not so bad."

"Thank you for coming with me."

He helped me up when we heard the track start to rumble. "No need for thanks. Your parents actually like me." 

I gave him a shove as he ran into the barely open doors of the train. 
___

Walking up to my parent's house brings no good memories. It's not that I had a bad childhood, I really didn't, it's just that I don't remember this house as home. Outside is like a cardboard cut out. It's all beige, even the curtains coving all the windows all the time. My mom has migraines so outside lighting was rarely graced upon us. 

"You're stalling." Greg stood near the door looking back at me. I hadn't left the sidewalk and seriously considered running as far as possible. 

Instead, I lifted heavy foot after heavy foot after him. Before I could change my mind, Greg rang the doorbell and my mom threw it open. At the first sight of Greg, she pulled him into a hug. "It is so good to see you," she chattered. "Come on inside both of you." 

As I tried to walk by she grabbed my arm. "Please tell me you and Greg are..." 

I stopped her midsentence. "Every time mom? He is just a friend. Ever since we met, we have just been friends."

"You two would just be so cute together." She looked up at Greg as he talked with my dad. They had always loved his drive and wanted me to as well. 

"I'm not doing this today. I do not have the energy." It had been such a long week and I was about to blow.

My mom rolled her eyes. "So dramatic, always." Without another word, she went upstairs and I followed close behind. I had expected there to be more people but the house was empty except for us four. When my dad saw me he broke away from his group and hugged me.

"Good to see you could make it with such a busy schedule." 

Subtext: Why have two jobs when you can have one, running my company?

I pulled away and subtly looked for the booze. "Wouldn't miss your big day dad."

My Subtext: This is a stupid party, there are better things I could be doing.

I don't know if he read my subtext quite as well as I read his, but I imagined us having quite the back and forth in my head. "Why don't you and Greg run and get yourselves some bourbon before we head out to dinner."

"Where is everybody, I thought we were having a party here." Every year since his 15th at the company he has thrown a party, or one has been thrown for him. It has always been here and it has always been boring.