Another Christmas Party.

From my parent's house to my apartment and back out to Xander and Emmitt's house, I don't think I said a single word. It was hard enough being a constant disappointment to my parents the least my father could do is feign interest in what I thought was a heartfelt gift. Something that I thought could be a mild apology for the restaurant and all of the other fights we had had throughout my life. 

There was no such luck there though. I would never win.

"Jade we're here." I look away from the window and at the little house I loved. Greg parks the car and takes my hand. "Are you going to be okay?"

"Me? Yeah, I'm resilient."

Sasha reaches up from the backseat and gives my arm a comforting squeeze. "I don't think your daddy meant anything by... anything."

"You know what, let go inside and have fun. I want to stop talking about this." Before either of them can answer, I jump out of the car and move to the door. Xander must have heard the car pull up or seen us through the window because he meets me before I even reach the porch. 

He moves towards me quickly and pulls me in for a quick kiss. I can taste beer on his tongue, but it doesn't bother me. If anything I need all the liquor I can get. "Hello, beautiful," he whispers as we pull apart. 

"How's the party going?" I ask. 

He looks behind him into the open door. "I'm sure you three will liven it up."

As if on cue Sasha bounds up behind me. "I liven up all parties. Just direct us to the bar."

Xander does a deep, exaggerated bow. "This way my lady."

The two of them lead the way in and I move to follow until Greg stops me. 

"Hey, I know it's been a rough night. Just let us know if you need to get out of here."

I give him a quick nod. "I'll be fine. Please stop worrying about me."

Greg had been there for more than one of my family freakouts. That's insanity though, right.  Doing the exact same fucking thing over and over again, expecting shit to change. I'm sure my parents feel the same about me. Maybe I was switched in the hospital or beamed down from space. I'm sure that would excite them. 

Tired of thinking the same things every day, all day, I run inside and reach Xander. 

As I move in he wraps his arm around my waist and hands me one of the shots Sasha poured us all. "Would you like to dance?" 

With my shot down and some of my thoughts already drifting away I nod and let him lead me to the middle of the living room. No one else is dancing and I couldn't care less. For one night I am going to be the old me, I am going to cut loose and fall for the wrong boy with the messy hair. 

He spins me faster and faster and faster until I feel the whole world wash away. 

"What's this one called?" I slurred slightly at Sasha, who stood in front of the beverage table and created odd cocktails. The one she currently had in front of me was sprite, vodka and blue curacao. 

She stared at it intensely, her fingers tapping thoughtfully against her chin. "Ocean breeze..."

I give her a soft clap before picking it up and swallowing it. The strength of it makes me shake my head, but I take it in stride. "I like that one, but I think I need some fresh air." 

She nods and wonders over to Greg who is looking through Emmitt's DVD collection. I walk out the back porch and catch Emmitt and Xander passing a cigarette back and forth. They don't notice me at first so I just stare at them. Emmitt leans against the porch railing, looking up at the sky. Xander, ever the daredevil, sits on the railing. 

"Oh, I found the bad boys club." Emmitt goes slightly wide-eyed as I saunter up. I hold out my hand to Xander and he passing me the cigarette with a smile on his lips. 

As I take a slow drag Xander jumps from the railing and moves in behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist. "I have to go double check my suitcase before I leave tomorrow. Don't leave until I get back."

"Promise."

WIth a quick kiss on the cheek, he heads inside, leaving me alone with Emmitt. I reach the cigarette out to him and he takes it, masterfully making sure our hands don't touch. "So you're a smoker," I ask with a playful grin. 

He nods. "Only when I drink. The two kind of go hand and hand."

We stand in silence for another moment, just staring up at nothing. "Emmitt," I whisper into the night. "I wanted to..."

"Please don't," he replies quickly. "I can't, Jade."

"I just wanted to apologize." 

Emmitt takes the last drag of the cigarette and puts it out in the flower pot. "You have nothing to apologize for."

He tries to walk by me but I step in his way. "I do. I pushed you when we went camping. Your friendship with Xander is obviously important and I was not trying to ruin that."

My pulse stops as he stares at me, his eyes dark from liquor and lust. His hands ball into fists beside him. Without really meaning to we lean closer together, the smell of smoke mingling between us. Greg calling my name from inside breaks us apart. 

"We should go inside," Emmitt says begrudgingly. 

He leads me inside. 

When I make it through the doors everyone is staring at me except for Xander who is staring at his phone. Greg walks over to me quickly and takes my elbow and I can see Sasha waiting by the door with my purse and coat. 

"What's going on," I ask, momentarily wondering if they saw me and Emmitt outside. 

Emmitt heads over to Xander to investigate and Greg tries to lead me away but I plant my feet. I need to know whats happening. 

"Greg, tell me what's going on."

Xander breaks through everyone else's silence. "Revenge on the ex?" His voice is barely a whisper but his words ring through my head like a scream. 

"What?" 

"Seduction techniques, What liars do, Date from hell..." Xander reads every title of the blog series, Emmitt right behind him looking angrier as they go one. "What is this?"

"Xander, I can explain..." 

Suddenly his phone goes flying by my face, Greg pulling me out of the way just in time. "What? That after I spend months telling you how I feel, apologizing again and again, you still felt like you needed to play a game with me?"

"It wasn't... It was just... Xander." This time I let Greg lead me to the door. I just keep sputtering. 

My world starts turning and I regret the last few drinks I had as my stomach turns. I stumble out the door, Sasha ahead and Greg behind, and make my way to the car. I hear my name and stop, hoping it's Xander and he'll let me explain. 

It's Emmitt instead, anger flashing across his face. "What is wrong with you!" His shoat echoes through the neighborhood. "He made a mistake at eighteen!"

"I know," I respond. Greg tries to move me into the passenger seat of his car. I stop him. "I wasn't trying to hurt him when I wrote those things..."

He speeds toward me and Greg holds him back. "What about when you did those things? To both of us!" I shake my head vigorously, the world tilting again. "Was I your ploy? Cheat on Xander with me? That'll show him!"

"I wasn't playing a game with either of you. Emmitt, please!" The tears finally fall. I had been trying to hold them in, I'm not a martyr. The look in Emmitts eyes was just too much. He hated me, Xander hated me... I deserved it. 

Greg grabs Emmitt by the shoulders. "You are drunk, you need to move inside so I can take her home."

Without a backwards glance, Emmitt goes back into the house, slamming the door behind him. Sasha grabs me before I can hit the ground, my knees unable to hold me up one more second, and helps me get in the car.