Mom's Gift

My heart starts beating faster as I look at Xander standing in my family's foyer. When we were teenagers he had never even come over. My parents saw us together and one day, making out by his car when they came to pick me up from school and I was not to see him again. Of course I didn't listen but it hindered him from coming around. 

I just couldn't stop staring at him standing there in a forest green knit sweater and nice slacks. He was trying to impress my parents, he even brought a bouquet of flowers for my mother. 

My mother startled me back to reality with a pinch on my arm. 

"Don't be rude," she reprimanded shrilly. "Introduce him to everybody, get him a drink."

My mind was spinning and I tried to think of the best way to broach why my mother would think this was okay. In my mind, I had an elegant speech on boundaries and what a surprise should entail. What came out was jibberish. "Mom... I... you... How?" 

Xander interjected before my mother could continue, which was good because I think any word from her would have made me explode. "We ran into each other at the mall and I recognized her. I told her we had reconnected and... Here I am." He smiles and puts a hand on my shoulder. "Is it okay that I'm here?"

Still slackjawed I respond. "Of course, I am just... surprised."

"Then I did my job," my mom chirps and heads into the living room. 

I turn to follow my mother but Xander holds me back. "I really didn't know I was a surprise guest. She made it sound like she was going to tell you." 

"It's fine, really. I just thought I wasn't going to see you until later tonight."

He leans in closer to me. "The extra time with you was a plus." His lips meet mine and I melt into him. What would have happened back then if he had been allowed in the house or if he had sat with my family and me on graduation day instead of his or if he hadn't moved and we could have talked through what he did? Would it have been a surprise to see him here or would we have come together? Would I have even met Emmitt or would Xander and I have bought our own little dream house? My mother definitely wouldn't be wondering when I would get married or give her grandchildren. Maybe Xander would even be the one my dad asked to take over his company. 

The soft ever lingering kiss was filled with so many what ifs and lost time that I wanted to cry. I would never get any of those things back and I can't say I would change it. All I know is it isn't what I want now. 

Xander pulls away and pulls a small velvet box out of his pocket. My eyes must have been huge because he soothes the ever-growing anxiety people get when they see a velvet box. "It's not a ring," he chuckles as he stuffs it in my hand. "I hope you like it though."

Slowly, I lift the lid and see a silver charm bracelet. It has a martini glass, a camping tent and a movie reel on it, then a lot of empty links. 

"I wanted something to show our new start." He takes the bracelet from its box and puts it on my wrist where the weight feels heavier than it should. 

I force a smile. "It's  beautiful Xander. I didn't bring your gift... I thought I'd have time to go back home."

"We can get it after this. Emmitt and some other friends are actually throwing a little party later tonight. We can all go." He nods up to Greg and Sasha who I didn't realize were watching from the other room. "Let's go join the partygoers."

I nod and let him lead me away. 

My mom notices us immediately as we walk into the living room and drags my father over. "Darling, this is Jade's friend Xander. They went to high school together."

He gives a quick nod to us and a firm handshake to Xander. "Glad you all could make it. What do you do for a living Xander?"

"In the winter I teach snowboarding and in the summer I'll start a kayak tour."

My dad nods slowly, appraising Xander with weary eyes. "I'm sure that must be fun. Jade must love it"

Subtext: Your job is a hobby, you're perfect for my daughter... the writer. 

"It is, it's nice to do something I love every day. I'm actually hoping to start up my own company, something with adventure tours. Rock climbing, hiking, snowboarding. There's a lot to do in a state like this."

The judgment in my fathers eyes decreases a bit at the sound of business ownership, though I know he still doesn't like the hobby part. 

"Well, make yourself at home." With one more nod, my dad turns back to his party, my mother never far from his heel. 

As my dad says goodbye to the rest of the guests my mom sits beside the tree and sorts through the gifts, putting piles together for each of us. I sent Xander away with the rests of the guests and told him I would meet him at the party. There was no need for him to sit through the awkward and often silent opening of presents. 

Ever the perfect hostess, my mom bought Greg and Sasha each a couple of presents to open while we went through the big stuff. 

With a loud groan, my father made his way back to the living room and took a seat in his trusty recliner. 

"Everyone take there piles and open one of there gifts," my mom said in a sweet yet commanding voice. We all obeyed. 

My first gift was from 'Your Parents' scrolled in my mothers perfect cursive. I rip it open and (putting all the trash in the proper pile of course) take out my gift. It's a very nice cup and bowls set, deep red with blue bottoms. "Thank you, mom," I say, hoping I sound truly grateful. I know any gift is thoughtful, I just wish she at least would remember I don't like red. 

The gift giving continues. Sasha got a jewelry box from my mother, a coffee and kalua based gift box from Greg and new shoes from me.

Greg got a new toolset from my dad and a Kindle from Sasha. 

My mom got various perfumes, lotions and scrubs from everyone and a spa day from my dad. 

Then it was the man of the hour's turn. Mom got him new clubs, he praised them. Greg got him Broncos tickets, he praised them. Sasha got him new cleats (to go with his new golf clubs and I knew that), he praised them. 

He opened my present last. My dad doesn't smile much, his face just doesn't move like that. In all of his photos, he has a straight face, even his wedding photos. When he opened my present though it wasn't the usually straight face, it was a frown. 

"Thank you, Jade." Then he set the gift aside. The other gift he examined and made comments on. All be it they were al short, but they were comments none the less. 

"Did you like it, dad?"

He looks up at me, confused. "Yes, Jade. I said thank you."

"Well, it wasn't exactly a 'Wow, thank you, Greg, for these amazing box seats' or 'Oh darling these will make all the other people at the club jealous'," I imitated his deep, monotone voice which seems to upset him. 

"What would you like me to say, Jade. I will put the bookends in my office. Thank you."

"Never mind," I seethed as I stood up and grabbed my coat. "I have to go."

"Jade," my mother said. 

I didn't look at them as I put my presents into a bag and waited for Sasha and Greg to follow. "I know mother, I am being dramatic, as I always am. I am tired though and I have other plans. I will call you tomorrow."

"Jade," She calls after me again but I'm already out the door.