Promises

Me and Clem jump apart from each other and give a glare at Javi and Kate entering the kitchen with AJ. Javi is holding AJ with that fucking grin of his and Kate has the decency to look apologetic at us.

"Come on guys, that's where you cook! At least me and Kate take it to our bedroom." Javi remarks as Kate turns bright red and slaps Javi on the shoulder.

"Do you want to sleep on the couch tonight? Because that's exactly where you're going if you don't stop."

That shuts Javi up as he mumbles an apology to us and hands AJ to me. AJ holds out his hands at me and I laugh as he clings to my neck like a little monkey. We say our goodbyes to Javi and Kate as they leave and Clem grabs her crutches before following me into AJ's playroom. I sit him down at his toy workshop and Clem plops down into the nearby rocking chair. I give her and AJ a kiss before heading out to start my daily chores.

It's well into the day when my sister approaches me. I'm checking the oil and gas in our vehicles and feel a tap on my shoulder. I jerk my head up and bash it on the hood before whipping around. Mariana is standing there with her hands behind her back, looking very suspicious.

"Yes? Can I help you?"

"Well big bro I was recalling a certain promise you made to me when you first spoke to me and I think it's high time to cash in that promise."

What the hell is she talking about? What promise? I to think back to when I first spoke to her and ca-

FUUUUCKKKKK

I promised her I would sing to Clem. Fuck my life. I start groaning at the thought of me singing and start coming up with an excuse.

"Um, listen Mariana, I lost my voice when I stopped talking and I don't even have any songs to sing. Plus, I don't have any instruments to play. So, sorry I can't do this."

"I knew you would try to sing something like that but, I have recordings of you singing in the shower and I had Javi pick this up on one of his runs."

She pulls out a brown guitar that she had hid behind her back and hands it to me. I take it with reluctance and strum the strings, testing the sound. Of course it's perfectly tuned and all strings are attached.

Just my luck

"And if you still say no then I will gather up everyone and play the recordings of you singing Baby by Justin Bieber. So, I would tread carefully with your answer."

Yep. She's related to Javi. No doubt.

"Fine. I'll sing to her but, I get to pick the song and when and where it happens. And you get to make a small stage and such. If I'm going to sing to her then, it's going to be a goddamn concert because she deserves it."

Mariana's eyes widen slightly before she gives me a sweet smile.

"You really love her, don't you?"

"With every fiber of my being."

"Then, I'm going to help you make it the greatest night of her life. So, here's what I've been thinking about. You are going to take her out on a real date. And I mean a full blown date. Complete with you in a tux, Clem in a dress, dinner in the moonlight with candles, and then you serenading her at the end." Mariana has a dreamy look in her eye when she finishes and I roll my eyes at her.

I agree with her plan and she skips off, probably back to her house to start getting things ready. I slam the hood down on the last car and head back to my own house, already picturing the hot shower calling my name. I open my front door and head upstairs to a sight that makes me feel all warm in side. Clem is laying on my bed with AJ tucked under her arms, both sleeping like a couple of rocks. I creep inside so as not to wake them and grab a clean pair of clothes before exiting. I close the door and head for the bathroom to take a much needed shower.

I spend nearly an hour just standing under the warm water and feel the water start to cool before actually washing myself. I'm so caught up in thinking about the date with Clem that I don't here the bathroom door open. I'm humming out loud and shut the water off before sliding the curtain open. I go to reach for a towel and look up as the remaining water drips down my head and my body. What I see makes me stop in my tracks and nearly scream like a girl. Clem is standing at the sink with a toothbrush hanging halfway out of her open mouth and her eyes grow big as she takes in my appearance. You could've heard a pin drop as silence surrounds us. I see Clem start raking her eyes over my body and before they make it below the waist, I grab a towel and wrap it around me. Clementine snaps out of it and stutters an apology before bolting out of the bathroom. I take a moment to collect myself and take a deep breath.

What a day