Goodbye For Now

You just couldn't wait one more hour, could you Javi? That's all I needed but, I wanted forever with Clem. Forever sounds amazing, especially if I get to spend it with Clem and AJ.

After slamming the door on Carl and Beth, I stomped upstairs where Clem lay asleep. Huh. Guess she was tired from all the excitement. I kiss her forehead and lay her head on the pillows before leaving her. I'll just tell Javi that Clem was already asleep. I throw on a tank top downstairs and make my way to the crowd of people. I hear shouting and see hands being thrown up in anger. Javi is standing in the middle of the crowd and I push my way to him. He looks relieved at seeing me and he begins to speak again.

"LISTEN PEOPLE! WE HAVE TO DRIVE THE HERD AWAY FROM US OR THEY WILL BREAK DOWN THE WALL AND GET IN! WE NEED VOLUNTEERS TO GO ON THE TRIP SO THE WHOLE HERD IS REDIRECTED! PLEASE!"

More shouts are thrown back at Javi and I feel it's time to speak up.

"I VOLUNTEER!"

Everyone seems taken back with my proclamation. And others look away at the prospect of going along on the trip. I feel a hand on my shoulder and look at Javi to see him give me a smile.

"If my teenage son can volunteer then so can you, you spineless cowards. I will also be going, along with Tripp and Rick. Raise your hand if you will go."

I see Carl, Glenn, Daryl, and Kevin raise their hands. So, it's mostly going to be men going because we're too prideful to let our women go. It's not that they can't handle their own out there, God no they probably top most of the guys going, we just can't stand them being in danger.

"Thank you. We will leave at dawn and load up in the pickup truck at the gate. I don't know how many of us will come back, so say your goodbyes tonight. I know I will." Javi makes his way out of the crowd and off to his house.

I follow his lead and walk towards my own house. When I'm back in my room, Clem is still asleep under my covers and I join her. I'm thankful that Kate took AJ for the night and not be woken up from his restless sleeping pattern. I snuggle up to Clem and I doze off thinking about her.

"Gabe. Wake up. It's time to go."

"Five more minutes, Mom"

"Boy you better get your ass up out of that bed before I take a picture of Clem and show everyone what she's wearing."

That gets me out of bed and tackle the person speaking.

"Motherfucker, Gabe. I was just kidding but, we do have to go."

I glance down and see Javi under me with that stupid grin. I shove off of him and make my way to my closet and grab my backpack. I throw in a couple of outfits and underwear before getting dressed. I walk into the bathroom to begin my morning routine and by the time I'm done, Clem is sitting up in bed looking at my bag. Her eyes dart to me and she frowns. I cut her off before she says anything.

"Clem let me explain. The herd outside our walls is getting bigger and me and a couple others are driving a truck to redirect them. We should only be gone a week, two weeks tops. I'll be back before you know it."

"Were you going to leave without waking me? What the fuck, Gabe? That's pretty fucking shitty. How would you like it if-

I cut her off with a kiss and pull her into a hug.

"I'm sorry. I was going to wake you before I left but, you beat me to it."

Clementine looks skeptical at first but, slowly pulls me into another hug.

"You better come back to me Gabe. I swear to God I will drag your ass back here if you don't."

"I'll come back to you. Come Hell or high water, I'll come back."

She seems satisfied with my answer and goes into the bathroom. Clem is still in her lingerie from last night and I am hypnotized from the sway in her walk. The sound of the door closing jerks me out of my stupor and I shake my head. I gather my things and head downstairs to leave. Before I can walk out the door, I feel a hand grip the back of my shirt and spin me around. Familiar lips are slanted against mine and I taste strawberries. I pull back after hearing a whistle and a holler.

"Get some boy!"

Goddamnit, Daryl

Clem rolls her eyes at him before giving me another kiss, this one short and sweet and pushes me out the door. I turn around and walk towards the guys with a Javi grin on my face. We load up and start making our way out of our home. I give one last look at my house before the gate is shut.

Javi had a plan to make as much noise as possible in the truck to gain all of the walkers attention and head into the city. It was working great until we got into the city. The herd just kept following us so, we split up and found a motorcycle and dirt bike to use. I was on the dirt bike because Daryl was all over that fucking motorcycle. The others were left in the truck and the herd finally split up between us. I went about 50 miles away from the others to make sure the walkers wouldn't follow me back. It been a week since we left our community and three days since I last saw the others. Dirt bikes don't use much gas and I'm grateful for that but, it sure is fucking cold on that thing. I reckon the others have made it back by now and I start making my way back today.

So, I'm going home. To the place where I belong and where your love has always been enough for me.

I can already feel Clem's arms around me and hear AJ's giggles. My thoughts start clouding my brain and I lose focus on the real world. Which is a shame because had I been focusing I would've seen the fucking rope hanging across the road. I'm yanked off my bike and go to stand up when a shovel appears out of nowhere and all I see is black.

Fuck My Life